PDA

View Full Version : New to zoos -- need advice

Mariner
06/06/2003, 09:41 PM
Ok, I'm relatively new to reefkeeping and totally new to zoos. I brought home a few polyps on a small rock three days ago. Some of the polyps were green centered with orange fringe, and some were orange centered with green fringe -- mixed on the same rock. Small, but very nice. After two or three tries at placing them at different locations in my 75, I've got them about two thirds of the way up on a piece of LR under 4 NO flourescents (including one actinic and one 50/50). Yesterday I shifted a MJ 1200 power head toward them to make sure they're getting good flow.
So far they don't look very happy. Some stay closed most of the time. The ones that open don't look as bright or extended as when I bought them.
Any advice on keeping these happier would be appreciated. Should I be feeding? Is the light and flow sufficient? Do I need to just give them a few days to settle in? BTW I got two shroom polyps and some star polyps at the same time, and they are all doing great.
Mariner

DiamondDave
06/07/2003, 04:56 AM
what are your water params? My experience w/ zoos is that they are tough as hell--what acclimating procedure did you use? BTW--you didn't mention what type of lighting your zoo's were displayed under when you bought them...NO lighting isn't going to give you the same coloration as vho, pc, or mh.

Mariner
06/07/2003, 06:21 AM
Params that I measure are
Temp. 79
PH 8.2
Ammo. 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I've started adding a little iodine daily (just one ml of SeaChem iodine in my 75 gal, that's about 25% of what they recommend), but I'm not testing for it or calc. I do a 15% water change every two weeks -- scheduled for one today.

The zoos were under MH grow lights in a HUGE mini-ocean vat when I bought them. I acclimated them about like you would tough fish I guess. Floated bag 20 minutes, mixed a little tank water in over a few minutes, and placed them in tank. The fact that I moved them about 3 times over a couple of days may have hurt more than anything :(

Mariner

Mariner
06/08/2003, 09:26 PM
Zoos are looking a little better. Any advice on whether or not to feed? -- they are quite small.
Also, these zoos are just together on a small plate/rock. It is very light and last night a crab or something knocked it off the rock down to the sand. Should I try to glue it or rubber-band it or something, or will it attach by itself?
Mariner

ez1ez
06/08/2003, 09:57 PM
I glue my zoo's with the super glue gel. it is awesome. put a few drops place the zoo and in the water... as soon as it hits water glue turns white and it's good. I turn on my actinics in the am for 1hr. alone and my zoo's open right up. they seem to love it. thats when I feed them.(dt's,phyto with a turkey baster) at night I give them 2 hrs of actinic. I am far from an expert but they have been growing quick and it works for me. goodluck..