PDA

View Full Version : SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer Problems

The Saltwater Kid
06/06/2003, 06:04 PM
I have a Seaclone 100 protein skimmer for my tank. It worked great for about a month until I happened to put in some stress coat while I was adding a fish, since then it spews out microbubbles and the collection cup fills with water. The troubleshooting instructions say that this is caused by the stress coat and to close off the air intake until it stops doing this. It's been two weeks now and I've tried a couple times to open the air intake back up but the damn collection cup is still filling up with water after a few hours (microbubbles appear to be gone though)...what should I do? Any helpful info is appreciated!!!

reefcrazy00246
06/06/2003, 06:14 PM
I have NEVER heard of the collection cup filling with water!!!:eek2:

Alot of times when I dose additives, or put in food for my corals, it will throw out hundreds to thousands of micro-bubbles, like you are talking about...but i am pretty sure that it shouldn't be filling the cup with water.

Check it over and make sure there are no cracks, or breaks or etc. in it. Did you drop the cup, or the skimmer itself??? Maybe, even look at the "O" ring on the top of it, to make sure it is good.

That is the only thing i can think of. Inspect the skimmer, and let me know what you find out!!

I have two of these skimmers, and never had that prob. or has anybody else i know of.

HTH
Jason

The Saltwater Kid
06/07/2003, 03:58 PM
Well, I checked the skimmer out...messed with the "O" ring a little and made sure the collection cup seasted right in it's cradle and now it seems to be back to working good! Hopefully that solved the problem. I don't think I'll be putting anymore stress coat in my tank for awhile although I'm going to continue with the B-Ionic but hopefully that won't cause as much stress to the skimmer!!!

Brad A.
06/11/2003, 06:19 PM
Hi,
Do a search for "seaClone" and you will see that most people have significant problems with these skimmers (mostly not skimming issues). People have posted how to modify the SeaClone to fix microbubble problems etc..

Just curious, why were you adding stress coat to your tank?

B-ionic will not cause your skimmer to foam. I add it every morning.
See you
Brad

yimmey
06/13/2003, 07:52 PM
I also have a seaclone 100 skimmer You can not use any additive like aqua safe , stress coat or anything that has a slime coat additive in it. you must use a plain dechlorinater and metal extraction agent. I was using aqua safe before I bought the seaclon100. after three weeks of micro bubbles and calling the aquarium systems company tech I did a 25% water change on my tank which is a 75 gallon reef. I did not add any aquasafe to the water mix. I know have no bubbles coming from my skimmer and it is working very well, with alot of crud daily. So do a 20-25% water change and your skimmer will work fine once dialed in. :smokin:

Tim Briggs
06/13/2003, 08:45 PM
I also use a seaclone 100 on my aquarium.I have used it for 2 and a half years and i am very satisfied with it.You do have to make sure the cup is properly seated on the skimmer for it to work.I would recommed this skimmer to anyone who is going to buy one.