PDA

View Full Version : zoanthids and bacterial infection

violet21chewy
06/05/2003, 12:23 PM
In my nano tank I have a region on my rock where all the zoo's I have glued there have gotten some sort of bacterial infection and died. They shrivel up, turn brown, stop opening. They seem to get some sort of coating on the outside. When I remove them they are filled with a type of brown slime. Has this happened to anyone? I'd like to know what it is and how to keep it from happening. All the other zoo's look fine. Thanks!

arcab4
06/05/2003, 01:56 PM
Hello,

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showt...threadid=163028

Eric Boerner said it was a type of bacteria that attacks zoos and if not removed, can spread to other colonies.

here's what he suggested doing:

"You can try to combat the problem though. If you have a hospital tank set up, you can give the colony straight iodine baths for 15 minutes a day for a week, and pop it in the hospital tank with fresh salt water and heavy daily iodine doses. Make sure there isn't too much light on the hospital tank (that doesn't mean no lighting). If your hospital tank is a 10 gallon, get 2 shop lamps and throw in 2 35 watt twisted PC bulbs.

Do a complete water change in the tank every week. Keep them in the tank for a month or two, and make sure all the white cheese on them is no longer visible before putting them back in your main tank."

HTH,

Johnny

violet21chewy
06/05/2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the reply! Only thing is I haven't noticed any white cheese. It shrivels up like beef jerky. I've been adding garlic and extra iodine to the tank. I moved zoo's that were close to that area and haven't noticed any others dying. ....knock on wood! If I do see any more I'll move em out and do the iodine dip though. Luckily the ones that died are ones that I already have in my other systems.

bookfish
06/05/2003, 08:11 PM
If the zoos are wet when you're glueing, the glue might be wicking up the polyps. I've done this by mistake sometimes.-Jim

Easily Distracted
06/06/2003, 08:44 AM
Bookfish,
I've done that too. I try to put them in water head first now when I reintoduce them. So far so good.