PDA

View Full Version : Livestock group order?

bdr127
06/05/2003, 10:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone else wanted to get in on a group livestock order? I was thinking of getting a few things online (maybe from Marine Depot Live -- hope that appeases the mods -- or someplace else that people like) but can't justify the shipping charges for only a few small things.... Anyone feel like putting something together with me? Anything on your wish list? I really like doing group orders like this, as you can get stuff for good prices..... Let me know what you think. Thanks.

--Brad

Ryan22
06/05/2003, 02:01 PM
Hey brad,
I'd love to get in on something like this with you, but right now I'm pretty strapped fro cash. Maybe sometime soon though. I just happen to stumble across this new group buy (http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=62) forum the just opened at reefs.org. It seems like its a trend that is catching on.

bdr127
06/06/2003, 03:11 PM
Come on...... There's got to be at least someone that needs some snails or crabs or a shrimp or something! :) You don't need to order very much -- that is the point. Together with our small orders, we make a large enough order to justify shipping costs. So speak up, guys!!! :D

minh_han
06/06/2003, 10:30 PM
I'll look around to see if there's something I can get. The thing is that with the addition of 4 medium sized fish, the ammonia's already running a bit on the high side. I'd hate to add just one more thing and tip the precarious balance. Still, there are a few corals I wouldn't mind having. Just have to see if I can justify the expense. So what are you getting?

bdr127
06/07/2003, 01:02 AM
I mostly need at least 4 cleaner shrimp.... and maybe some corals if any strike my fancy. :p

joetbs
06/07/2003, 01:51 AM
Are you definitely ordering from Marine Depot Live? I'm pretty close and might need some stuff. I'll go take a look at their website.

joe

breedingroom
06/07/2003, 07:56 AM
I will also let you know... also will keep you in mind for the future.:)

breedingroom
06/07/2003, 07:58 AM
hey I just noticed you are in Norwalk... I used to live their up till about a year ago. My wife is fromthere . Send Me a PM. Do you belong to C.A.R.S. I want to join but it seems that the meeting are a bit far away.I live IN Stratford Now.

bdr127
06/07/2003, 11:58 AM
I'm not necessarily set on Marine Depot Live.... just mentioned it as a possibility. If anyone else has another preference, I can easily be swayed. ;) Just let me know who you guys like....

minh_han
06/07/2003, 12:05 PM
JP at justphish.com has cleaner shrimp that's usually a competitive price. You might want to ask him. If he doesn't have it in stock right now, he can always order it. Plus, since he doesn't live far away, you can spend that extra shipping money on more frags!

bdr127
06/07/2003, 12:08 PM
Yeah, JP would also be a vendor consideration..... just tell me who you guys like and what you're looking to get. We'll see where/what we should do. :)

bdr127
06/07/2003, 12:15 PM
joetbs: Sure -- you are more than welcome to get in on a group buy. :) Depending on where you live in Rockland County, it's no more than a half hour from here (Norwalk). Let us know if/when you are interested in something.

minh_han
06/07/2003, 01:05 PM
I was just thinking if you went with JP, you wouldn't need a group buy. And if you came by to pick the stuff up, there would be no shipping fees. Alternatively, if you're willing to wait until the end of the month, he can bring it to the June CARS meeting and save you the trip. That's what he did for Bill, and it seemed to work out well.

nakama
06/07/2003, 03:35 PM
Brad,
Keep me posted, I can always use a frag or two. I got a really nice table acro from Phishy Business awhile ago He's great to do business with. Count me in on a group buy once you'rve decided what vendor to use. Once JP is in full operation it might be fun to take a spin to his new place.
Neil

joetbs
06/08/2003, 11:32 PM
BDR, I'm in the north part of the county. I was thinking of getting a Xmas tree rock for my tank, but i think i'll pass. I would order something else, but they don't have frags, and it's going in a 5.5g tank. If you end up ordering from JP, see if he has any frags lying around :) Thanks.

joe

bdr127
06/09/2003, 02:10 PM
Okay... I talked to JP by email and he is happy to work with us on a group order. I am also happy to do all the "middleman" work (ordering, paying, pick-up, etc). JP said that he has a wide variety of stuff, and anything he doesn't currently have he can get as long as he knows ahead of time. As we all know and he pointed out, the advantages of going through JP are good -- no shipping (costs and transit time for animals), and we can see what we are getting.

So I guess this means we can go ahead and use JP for a group order.... Like I said, I would be happy to be the runner and do the "dirty work," so to speak. It's not a problem for me to order and pick-up and stuff. So if anyone is interested, just let me know.... here in this thread is fine for now. As for a time frame, I was looking at early next week... that way it gives people time to decide what they want and also gives JP time to get stuff in if he doesn't have it in stock. If anyone needs more time, we can work that out.

Just let me know, guys! Thanks! :D

--Brad

minh_han
06/09/2003, 06:13 PM
Would anyone consider splitting the cost of the pink zoanthid rock JP has for $65? Pink zoos are from what I understand quite rare and would be a nice addition to any tank.

minh_han
06/09/2003, 06:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's the advantage in getting a group order? Are the prices different somehow? Usually, a group order is most advantageous for saving on shipping, but in this case shipping is not an issue.

breedingroom
06/09/2003, 09:22 PM
I would like to know if there is any advantage, financially in going to JP. I would like to take the ride and see his operation. I can use a good 150 lbs. of fiji rock however... How is he priced, does he have any rock right now?

bdr127
06/09/2003, 09:54 PM
I guess you have a point.... ha! :lol:

When I originally posted, I mentioned MDL because they have relatively cheap cleaner shrimp ($11).... If anyone still wants to order from there or somewhere else, feel free to post. I'm up for an order, but I'm getting the feeling other people really aren't into that.... if so, just let me know that, too. ;)

Dazed1
06/10/2003, 10:31 AM
I need a pair of Peppermint shrimp and maybe a sixline Wrasse. I know J P has peppermints in stock, but he might have to order the sixline. Ofcourse I can pick it up since i'm barely 10 mins away :D

generalee
06/10/2003, 01:40 PM
Hey MINH, I would split the pink zoo's with you. Also looking for Sun Coral (Tuberna?). You live in Manchester so I can p/u from you when I go to Crunchy Cheese (Shady Glenn). Let me know, I can also jsut contatc JP and order it myself.

minh_han
06/10/2003, 01:48 PM
John, sounds good. Can you get in touch with JP and have him hold the rock for us? I don't want it sold before we can get to it. Also, I'm pretty interested in his very nice candycane corals. John, as you know, I live just 5 min from Shady Glen (never heard it called Crunchy Cheese before :) ), so that would be a good idea.

Brad, I believe JP's cleaner shrimp are $13, which is more than MDL but less if you consider shipping.

Breedingroom, the best thing to do is to email JP at justphish0911@aol.com and ask him about the rock. If he doesn't have it now, he can order it. And, the last time I was there, the rock looked pretty good.

Although I'd like to get some frags right away, I'm battling an unknown malady in the tank right now that I'll post in another thread.

breedingroom
06/10/2003, 01:56 PM
Thank Minh han, when is the next meeting. Where.

minh_han
06/10/2003, 02:25 PM
The next meeting is in Wethersfield at Annick's house on June 28. There'll probably be a thread started on it soon.