PDA

View Full Version : SF Home Depot or Menard's still have LOA lights

Deacon
06/04/2003, 03:30 PM
Anybody know if the HD or Menard's in Sioux Falls still carry that 65watt Lights Of America light? Actually I just need a replacement lamp for it...I think. (I may need to replace the whole thing...)

clarktod
06/05/2003, 07:03 AM
Menards had both the replacement bulb and the entire fixture last time I was there. That was at least a month ago though.

Todd

Deacon
06/05/2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks Todd!

I live about an hour away so its helps to know they had them a month ago. I think I'll take the chance and drive up after work tonight and see if they are still in stock.

I also need some macros...hope Safariland or Mini's has some floatin' around in the store.....

stonkers
06/11/2003, 12:59 PM
I went by there and found the bulb you were talking about. They stopped carrying the light however. They claim that they were getting a lot of returns because of problems with the light. They replaced it with one that claims to use about 35 watts of power but output 200 watts of light. Supposed to be a very white light.

Looks like Home Depot still carries this LOA Light. I'm really new to this and need some advice on getting some cool glow going. Is this what I'm looking for? I've got a 54 corner and am building a canopy. I'm almost done. Just need to mount lights and fans. I built a 250 watt MH. Takes up quite a bit of the room in the top of the canopy, so I need to find a fairly compact fluorescent to go in there also. Thanks - Eric

Travis
06/13/2003, 12:53 AM
Stonkers, would the LOA light be for your display tank? I'm not sure what Kelvin rating these bulbs are but they may not be benefitial for corals. I know a lot of people use them to grow macroalgae in their refugiums because algae is easy to grow under any light. I don't know anything about these bulbs so I may be wrong about the kelvin thing. Just a suggestion.

Travis

stonkers
06/13/2003, 08:01 AM
Yep, looking for a light to create a glow quality in my display tank. I know absolutely zero about this. It can't take up a lot of room.

What's Kelvin signifying?

Travis
06/14/2003, 11:13 AM
Kelvin describes the color temperature that the bulb gives off. Corals are adapted to a certain color of light depending on which part of the reef they come from. Corals from shallow waters benefit from lower Kelvin such as 6500K because that light easily reaches them. Corals from deeper water benefit from higher kelvin bulbs such as 20000K and actinics because blue light is able to penetrate the deepest.

I'm not sure what corals you plan to keep but kelvin also has a lot to do with the colors of sps. You can do a search in the sps forum for this. There are a ton of threads about it.

All bulbs that are sold for reef aquariums specify the kelvin rating of the bulb.

HTH

Travis

blueoceandiver
06/14/2003, 11:19 AM
the hd lighs are 6500k i run 3 on my main tank they work very well:D

Travis
06/16/2003, 01:56 AM
Sounds like it would be a good bulb for a tank then.