PDA

View Full Version : Help with tank changes.

enutees
05/04/2000, 12:16 PM
I have to move my 110 gallon reef to a different room in about 2 months. I want to make some changes to the tank that I wish I would have done in the beginning. Right now the tank is drilled and has 1 overflow pipe of 1 inch. I want to increase the amount of turnover in my tank. I would like to get it drilled on the other side as well. What size would you get for it? I have a 30 gallon tank I'm using as a sump. I'm going to add 2 sea swirls for the returns, so I can eliminate some powerheads.

My questions are: What size hole to get drilled?
Should I get it drilled in the bottom or on the back towards the top like some people do?

I'm also adding a sand bed. Right now have 1" crushed coral.

Also thinking of getting my sump drilled to have the option of getting an inline pump. Any suggestions on hole size for that?

Any other things you all wish you could change when you are moving your tank?

Also if you know any links related to these subjects please share.

Thanks

dragon0121
05/04/2000, 01:50 PM
Enutees,
I would have it drilled so you can put in a bulk head that accomadates 1" pipe. I have a RR tank with two bulkheads that return to the sump thru 1" PVC. I then pump from the sump to the main tank into two 3/4" sea swirls. Each pump is a Mag 12 (1200gph) pump. The Sea Swirls are awesome. You might want to think about getting some of the optional fittings that go on the Sea Swirls, like the Y fittings. With a mix and match combination of fittings you can get high and low current spots in the tank and still maintain the random currents, and they are random :D . One of the best purchases I made in my setup.

enutees
05/04/2000, 05:10 PM
You think a 1" pipe can handle that kind of flow? I have a rio 2100 (I know its too small, I know everyone hates rios) on it right now and it doesn't seem to have too much left. Maybe I'm wrong. How much is a 1" supposed to take as far as flow goes? And how far under the water line should it be?