PDA

View Full Version : ORCA Reef Club

Aquaman
04/03/2001, 03:20 PM
Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)

ORCA is a non-profit organization of aquarist dedicated to the care and conservation of marine life kept in reef aquariums. Our primary objective is to educate other area reef keepers on the requirements of caring for reef inverts, fish. Coral propagation.

ORCA believes that in order for this hobby to continue and flourish, dedicated hobbyist must take a more active roll in their community to educate new aquarist on the less destructive methods of cycling tanks, fish cohabitation, beginner and advanced coral requirements. New hobbyists have traditionally relied on the Local Fish Store (LFS) in purchasing equipment, aquatic life as well as answer all their innumerable questions. We have found however that many LFS have less than knowledgeable workers or the knowledge skills are vastly out of date.

With many different methods of reef setup and care available from books, Internet, local fish stores it can create even more frustration for hobbyist looking for answers. We believe we can help new hobbyist and advanced aquarist in new methods of caring for these delicate and beautiful creatures.

As saltwater aquariums have gained in popularity so has research into how equipment used can best emulate natural reef settings, provide better quality water, and give the hobbyist more control over every aspect of their tank. This has resulted in a large niche market of equipment, which has pushed prices to exorbitant levels. ORCA is dedicated to showing aquarist methods to spending their money wisely.

· Education of reef aquarist
· Promote better standards for LFS
· Explain how to care for and propagate coral
· Provide a network of knowledgeable reef keepers
· Supply a source of propagated corals for reef keepers
· Disseminate information from books and other sources

President: John White
Vice President: Russell Whitney
Treasurer: Jim Toomy
Librarian: Vacant
Web Master: Michael Viggiano

smpolyp
04/03/2001, 11:17 PM
I'm Vice? I think I will have to step down in the intrest of ORCA members. I do not have the time to properly put forward into the possition given. I will how ever do my best to help out were I can. Harold and I have already agreed to donate some products to help out the club. Long live ORCA. How about Diane?

AHAB
04/04/2001, 11:21 AM
Hey Aquaman,
Well said, sometimes you amaze me. LOL
Nice start, lets set up some concrete (measurable) short and long range goals for the club and its members.For example:

1. Bring a frag nite, a raffel so everyone has an equal chance. Do two raffel catagories: softies and sps.

2. Bring a cup o' substrate to trade, to increase biodiversity.

3. Organize groups buys for salt, Dt's, cyro paste, lightbulbs, things to make it cheaper to stay in the hobby.
One of the biggest limiting factors is the cost, this will alleviate the cost somewhat.

4. Bring a new friend night.

5. Post meeting info in petshops.

These are things we need to do now to increase membership base and develop a sence of community in the Central Florida area.

Lets get the ball rolling,
See you soon,
Jim Toomey
AKA AHAB

Aquaman
04/04/2001, 01:48 PM
Guys! I'd still like to get a website in place so we can be a little more organized. I think this forum will help till then.

I also need some input from members on how to get the paperwork done for Tax exemption. If you have any information please pass it along.

One of our members approached me two months ago at the February meeting with a proposal for website space. I will contact him and get more details.

Alex Carbonell wrote:Well my name is Alex Carbonell I am Diane's friend do not remember if you know who I am, but I did donate some of my space on one of my servers incase they wanted to put a website

well that offers still stands, and I also have the BBS program that Orca is using that I can install on said website if so choose that way you have your own Forum with what ever categories or topics you would like on it

let me know and I will explain what needs to be done

Alex Carbonell
Aim Internet Services
407-522-8826

smpolyp
04/05/2001, 01:52 PM
John maybe you could bring that paper work to the next meeting so all the members can help work on it.

AHAB
04/05/2001, 03:03 PM
Hey John,
Would you please add links to this page so everyone can see your tanks, Franks, Russells, and anyone elses tank we have links to?????
It would be great for everyone to see what our club members tanks looks like!!
Thanks,
AHAB

filishy
04/16/2001, 03:32 PM
Hi you all!

My name is Mary. I have been looking for you for a while now. I do not live in Orlando just yet, I will be moving there in some months from now (probably december) but, I would like to get in touch with you from now on, to get involved even if it is over the net only.

I am still in the planning stage of my first 75g. reef tank but, because I have devoted the last 20 months to reading and reasearch, I already feel quite comfortable with it all.

If you do not mind having a "pre-newbie long distance pre-member" I would like to participate and join you guys. I wil be traveling to Orlando in a couple of months. Perhaps we could get together then.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Cheers!
Mary :)

smpolyp
04/16/2001, 09:38 PM
Mary you are more than welcome to join. If you would like at each meeting we can get on line and keep you informed. Also let us know if you need any help moving your tank in. Here is my e-mail sruttle@aol.com. Keep us informed.
P.S. some of us are ratical in our ideas, but we all have open minds. After all we except each others die hard habits.
Hope to see you soon.

filishy
04/18/2001, 06:10 AM
Thank you for the reply and for letting me be part of the club. Thank you also for the offer about getting in line. We can talk later to say how to go about that since getting online here (in Venezuela) is much more expensive than in the States resulting in limitations in the time one is connected. I connect most from my office and eventually, from home.

I wrote down your email address, thank you. BTW, do you sell tanks and stands???? If so, I'll be talking to you about that.

What do you mean by radical?

smpolyp
04/18/2001, 12:03 PM
Radical meaning doing things that most aquarist would never do or even have thought of doing. We how ever will not and do not put the inhabitants at risk. Yes,I can get you just about anything that you will need for your tank. Tank, stand, rock, corals, lights, ect... You can also reach me by snail mail at 9907 Dean Acre Dr. Orlando,Fl. 32825 if you need to. Welcome to the club.

Aquaman
04/18/2001, 01:37 PM
I Think what russell is saying is our group of members are a little weird :D Well I'm normal but the rest of them are weird ;)

filishy
04/18/2001, 01:51 PM
Oh ... I see ... ok ...

Well, I am have to say that I am so normal I am boring. In fact, a bit of a book-worm with glasses and all.

Hopefully, that can be overlooked by you guys. BTW, are there any other women in this club?

Seriously now, when I asked about being radical, I was hoping for an answer with an specific example. Why these things that you guys do are things that "...most aquarist would never do or even have thought of doing" ?

Just for intellectual curiosity.

Cheers!

smpolyp
04/18/2001, 03:21 PM
Yes, we have other women in the club.
Hydrogen peroxide dosing, no bio balls in 1991,live sand in 1993, skimmers out of 1 and 5 gal jugs. wave makers on 20 gals in 92, two DI cart. on after the RO,ect...

Aquaman
04/18/2001, 04:51 PM
Example: I drew a design for a underground chiller!

another member has plans for building your own power compac lights and ballasts.

Oh and don't worry about being a bookworm type! I am a bookworm myself having a little over a thousand books in my collection.

filishy
04/20/2001, 06:46 AM
I see...

Thank you both for the info. Interesting stuff, I am quite impressed. I don't know if I will ever be that adventureous but, it is great that others are. Makes one learn and grow.

Do you have any pictures of your tanks you might want to share with me?

Anyway, thank you both for making me feel welcome. See you soon.

Cheers!

Aquaman
04/20/2001, 02:40 PM
Just follow the yellow brick.. Oh wait wrong story. Hmm How about let your fingers do the walking?. ehh close enough

just click on the my name.

Mr Neutron
04/30/2001, 01:50 PM
G'day all,
Just wanted to introduce myself to the club. I haven't been to a meeting yet but Russell has met me several times. My name is Chad and I have a 3 month old 125g reef-in-the-making. I have a lifetime of experience with keeping animals. I've kept FO saltwater and freshwater for about 10 years but this is my first reef. I used to own a 3,000 sf pet store and we sold just about everything. I have also bred reptiles and parrots on and off since I was 14, sometimes professionally. I used to be a secretary in the Central Florida Herp Society and wrote some articles on breeding true chameleons.
Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself to your club members and hope to make it to one of your next meetings. :)