PDA

View Full Version : styrofoam boxes

crumbdav
05/30/2003, 06:09 AM
Im starting to accumilate a number of.. well.. bout 15 big styrofoam boxes. What can I do with them?

I don't want to throw them away. My LFS won't take them.

Help, suggestions appreciated.

--Dave

skipm
05/30/2003, 06:38 AM
They make nice substitute ice chests for those times when you don't want to have to keep up with your good ones or to use as loaners when somebody needs to borrow one, if it gets broke or doesn't come back then no problem. Another possible use is to cut them up as packing material for times when you are shipping something breakable. I too wish there was a better way of dealing with these boxes. It would be nice if a recycling program could be instituted with the on-line livestock vendors, maybe a % type discount or a fixed amount if you return the box.

Laura D
06/02/2003, 02:19 PM
It would be nice if a recycling program could be instituted with the on-line livestock vendors, maybe a % type discount or a fixed amount if you return the box.

Yes, it seems to me that vendors would be overjoyed to have these shipped back to them, they are awefully expensive.

I keep them. I ship just enough live things to friends that I never have to many at once.

I have also used the smaller ones as a cooler when on a road trip:cool: .

Agu
06/02/2003, 10:33 PM
Wholesalers don't appear to want them back and most LFS throw them in the dumpsters :rolleyes: . Small ones come in handy for all kinds of things, esp of you swap frags a lot.

The only use I've heard about for the big styro boxes is keeping kegs cold. Two or three boxes(depends on if it's an eight or sixteen gallon keg) a little duct tape, a sharp knife, and you'll have an awesome keg cooler.

just encouraging recycling,

Agu

Frisco
06/03/2003, 08:50 AM
I have never been able to find anyone to take them either.

SPC
06/03/2003, 09:12 AM
Yea I have asked my LFS this before, he said that the vendor does not want them back due to the cost of shipping vs the value of the box.

I have used some of these in the past to raise fresh water plants and fish in the backyard.
Steve

crumbdav
06/03/2003, 09:37 AM
Well.. Im hardly a tree hugger or a bleeding heart liberal but we as a community should really do something about this.

Isn't it true that the USPS charges based on weight and not on dimensions?

I guess I just dont' understand. Alot of places charge me $7-10 box charge. Even if it costs them $4 to send it back to them, the will still be making a profit.. And it would be an 'ecological marketing tool' for them.

MaryHM
06/03/2003, 10:44 AM
The boxes I use to ship to hobbyists cost me a little over $5 for the styro and cardboard outer. If it was possible to have them mailed back for that much or less, it would be a great way to recycle them. But how would you keep track of who mailed in what box and did I really receive it and giving credits?? Any ideas?

holeinone1972
06/04/2003, 10:55 AM
I just ordered another 100 boxes from a manufacturer. Landed cost to my door comes out to $9.08 thus my $9 box charge. The boxes are about $6 per peice but add shipping with a freight company, jumps the price right up. I use www.polar-tech.com for my boxes.

If there was a cheaper supplier I would be glag to know.

I have thought about asking my customers to ship them back to me on my dime, but then the question arrises how will I know that they are in good condition after being shipped twice?

It is a shame to watse them. The ones I get from the wholesalers are just to big to use to ship to 90% of customers unless they are making a very large order.

Rob
ECC