PDA

View Full Version : Acclimating Turbos

BlinkBoyCK
05/03/2000, 05:51 PM
How long are you supposed to acclimate turbo snails??????? I've killed so many and I'm getting pretty ****ed off. They do fine for like a week and then they just die. Also, what other critters would help my hair algae problem, I just can't seem to get rid of that stupid hair algae!!!!! I think I hate hair algae more than anything. I have no fish currently in my tank just a few corals(hammer,colt) and the hair alge still grows!! I can't think why it grows except maybe I'm overfeeding my coral???? Maybe I leave my lights on to long(there Corallife bulbs, which means there pretty weak) I leave them on about 11 hours a day. How do you poeple like sally crabs for hair algae??? Well, sorry for so many questions and all but I'm pretty stressed about the tank and. Please give some advice!

CHAD KELLY

REEFA
05/03/2000, 06:24 PM
Questions:

Do you use an RODI filter ?

What do you have for a cleanup crew ?

Have you tried using a Poly Filter by Poly Marine ?

------------------
Life is short....live life to the fullest !

REEFA
05/03/2000, 06:28 PM
Oh and by the way,
I have 113 snails in my 75. I have Margaritas and Mexican Turbos, just dumped them in they are all alive and doing great.
What do you keep your temp at in the tank. I keep mine at 81 degrees F. Salinity at 1.023-1.025.

------------------

REEFA
05/03/2000, 06:29 PM
OOOOOPS typo,
thats 13 snails.......whew.........

------------------

Snailman
05/03/2000, 06:51 PM
8 to 10 hours as per Dr. Ron and it worked for me. I also killed a number of turbo snails until I tried the long acclimation and the last batch of 50 that I got I only lost 1. :)

hesaias
05/03/2000, 07:16 PM
BBCK
A tuxedo urchin is a great hair eater, turbos dont eat the stuff. Im not sure that any snails eat it(digest that is). I fought hair algae for a couple of months, almost went postal. Try 25% waterchanges, every week or 2 for 4 waterchanges. Take the rocks out and scrub them in the old water after each change, and add a variety of snails. Turbos, trocus, cerith, astrea and nerite. The Tuxedo is a hair algae eating beast!, the others, along with the waterchanges( and skimming) will help export the bad stuff out. BTW, do you dose Kalk? I started when I had my hair bloom, and I think it helped stabalize things. Premium Aquatics has the snails, If you can, get some nassarius too, they ear carrion and leftovers before it becomes algae food
HTH

------------------
hesaias
My Reefscape (http://www.angelfire.com/on3/hesaias/index.html)

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

BlinkBoyCK
05/03/2000, 08:11 PM
I think your mistaken when you say Turbos don't eat hair algae cause mine seemed too until they start dying anyways. I don't does kalk, maybe i should. The only sponge I've used is a phosphate sponge and it doesn't help for crap. I do water changes every couple weeks anyways and I buy all my water pre-made at my lfs(good owner,and good water) I had a urchin but he wasn't a reef safe type and started picking at my coraline algae and I got rid of him. I'm definetly getting a tuxedo urchin then, anyone else have something to say about them???? Well thanx for all the help. How much is a tuxedo urchin, just wonderin. I feel a little better now that I have a plan of attack with that little urchin.

CHAD KELLY

hesaias
05/04/2000, 03:53 AM
A tukedo will eat coraline too, but if you dose kalk, it wont matter, itll grow way faster than the urchin eats. Check the Library articles by Dr Ron on snails, you will find them very informative, also try the archive and search. There have been some good threads about just such things
BTW I paid $15 for my Tuxedo. Worth every penny!

------------------
hesaias
My Reefscape (http://www.angelfire.com/on3/hesaias/index.html)

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

crump
05/04/2000, 02:58 PM
Snails in general are very sensitive to salinity changes. I was losing Turbo's just like you, so I checked the salinity at the dealers tank and it was 1.20, my tank is 1.26, hence dead snails. The next batch I used a drip acclimation on for about 1hr, and they have all been alive for 6 months. So use a drip and I bet your sanils will live more than a week.