PDA

View Full Version : Identify this stuff...

eifert
05/29/2003, 09:56 PM
Anyone have any idea what this things are?

First - upper third center (near the snail) is a greenish/yellow growth on the live rock. I have two of these 1/4" one has tubes like a sea squirt. It's a cool color and prickley looking

Next, all the white dots growing everywhere?? Not a nusance yet, but I'd like to know what they are....

and last, next to the brain, is a growth that looks like "Day of the Triffids." Any idea? I have a few here and there in the tank (on the rock and DSB.)

Again, I don't think any of these growths are problems. I just want to identify them.

BTW: The brain usually looks fuller. It was a bad brain day for him.

Doesn't this photo look like something out of a 50's Sci Fi magazine? "There is life on Mars!"

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Here's the link

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/eifert/lst?.dir=/close+up+shot+of+growth+in+tank&.view=t

eifert
05/29/2003, 09:58 PM
Oh, that's Rocky (the squirrel) sticking his head out of the rock! It's not the face on Mars.

Bruce
05/30/2003, 10:05 AM
The greenish yellowish growth is a sponge.

The white "dots" are mini feather dusters (spirulid polycheates). They come and go in bunches. I think they expand in numbers every time there is a change in calcium concentration, but that is just a guess.

Both are considered good for the tank.

Bruce

eifert
06/01/2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks Bruce. Not I just have to figure out what the polyp-looking things are. Any ideas? (the soft redish thing next to the brain in the photo.)