PDA

View Full Version : AMDA Netting Donation

dizzy
05/29/2003, 08:50 AM
Mary,
Steve Robinson AMDA president personally delivered the roll of netting AMDA donated. I believe it all went to some MAC certified divers who were having a graduation ceremony. I can't recall the name of the island where the first two MAC CAMPs are located, but it was all part of that community I believe. AMDA's role has been understated for reasons that I'd rather not disclose. Perhaps Steve will be willing to provide some additonal details.

Nancy Swart
05/29/2003, 05:07 PM
Hi Steve,

I think some would like to know who the exporters were that received the netting and what's been done with it? Did they pay for it? Do they have their own training programs?

Nancy

mkirda
05/29/2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Nancy Swart
Hi Steve,

I think some would like to know who the exporters were that received the netting and what's been done with it? Did they pay for it? Do they have their own training programs?

Nancy

Nancy,

They met with Marivi, Guia and Lolita. I know that John left the netting I had sent over with him with Marivi, although Lolita took a yard or two off of it. John explained that Lolita wanted a sample so she could see if it was available somewhere locally.
My netting was picked up by Ferdinand Cruz and was distributed to the divers he has been working with. I understand that it is all gone now.

As far as I know, none of the exporters have net training programs, but some of them (Lolita, for example) do sell the barrier netting material.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

GreshamH
05/29/2003, 05:29 PM
Nancy,
The AMDA netting was a donation. A donation to help as I said, re-define the missing material and show that it was available.
The exporters recieving this particular netting were Habitat [ Marivi Laurel] and H.D. Marineworld [ Guia Dimayuga].
It was well recieved and the donation helped spur the demand...which was the intention.
There are no more training programs per se, least of all any to train collectors in any areas that have good variety of fish left. That is exactly the point here. The netting material drive helps to explain, educate and underscore the need for training to go with it.
Our next agenda will be the training to cover the Philippines and convert 1,000 cyanide fisherman in the first year.
Since there are no training teams or organizations now doing this, the AMDA-CORL push for it will proceed in ernest.
We would love to have MASNA on board with it as well as MAC.
Steve

Nancy Swart
05/29/2003, 06:11 PM
Steve & Mike,

Thanks for answering my questions. Steve, MASNA has stated since Februrary that you have our support. We've told you that directly in the BOD meetings you've attended. However, we've been provided with no details or info. Mitch has stated you're not at liberty to give us details. OK..next...

WHY was this netting DONATED to the Exporters who have no training program in place!!! Are they now going to turn around and SELL it to their select group of fishermen? The same fishermen who are too poor to feed their families?

My concern is that after reading all that's been posted here and on RDO showing us we can't really trust anybody anymore, I thought some accountability as to future "donations and grants" is now in order.

Mary has setup a totally transparent program. I think others asking for our support should do the same.

Please don't take offense anyone. I'm just trying to insure the same mistakes that have been taking place for the last 20 years don't continue.

Nancy

Jimbo327
05/29/2003, 06:21 PM
I think the collectors need to form a union. :D And that is not a joke. These collectors need to be paid more and so they can afford better equipment and a better life.

That is the only way to make any real changes. And someone should be held responsible for these big shot industry people to shell out some money for nets. We are actually bailing them out of their duties! We need names and contact information, and we will flood them with inquiries until they do their jobs! The netting idea is very good, but we are just putting a band-aid on a wound, where-as we should really be finding a long term solution to this problem.

Jim

GreshamH
05/29/2003, 07:02 PM
Nancy,
Divers already trained years before got the netting we donated! It was snapped up and gone before I left!
There is a pent up demand for it and only fraction of that demand was met. Of course it was given for FREE to the divers.
Notions of "selling" it, not being transparent, not being above board etc. etc...what? What on earth are you talking about?
It was a donation to help get some divers back into using it again. That was the idea and thats what we did.
Now we need to cover more divers and get more trained.
Any more questions?
Sincerely Steve

GreshamH
05/29/2003, 08:31 PM
Jimbo327-

There's all ready a "divers union" in place. Please read Mary's cyanide info site @ reefsource.com, theres plenty of coverage of the union you ask about.

Gresham

Nancy Swart
05/29/2003, 11:46 PM
Steve,

No way did I mean to imply that your/AMDA's actions or motives were questionable. If you interpreted it that way, I apologize.

BUT you did open a can of worms on RDO when you commented that the photo John Brandt posted of the exporter with netting was just a sham for the tourists. If your post made ME suspicious of the exporters' intentions, I'm sure others must feel the same way.

I think it's great that we're finally bringing all these problems to the attention of the hobbyists as I feel we'll now make some real progress with these issues.

Nancy