PDA

View Full Version : redish algae outbreak

jman785
05/29/2003, 02:46 AM
Well I brought in some prolifera from a friend that works for a local aquarium to my store...and well I placed it on the other side of the tank, there is a tank divider in it, its a 3-tier for commercial stuff..anyway, the other side has LR in it, and well anyway, I noticed a green algae growing on it, and it was fairly easy for me to get off the LR, I just used a turkey baster...then I noticed a red algae taking over, it looks the same as the other stuff, its just like a fine fine hair and this red **** doesn't come off like the green stuff would just come off...anyway its spread everywhere, I'm afraid of losing all of my stuff including my mushrooms and a chunk of liverock I'd die for ;-) My polyps are not having a bad problem with it really, they jsut have a little of the green stuff still left, I suppose the red stuff forced the green out when it was on the rock...anyway, how can I fix this problem, I tried using Phos-Zorb, figuring that it would slow the aquatic plant growth down, well that screwed me up, because my mexicana wilted a little, so now I'm hurting for ideas, might I add its even trying to grow in the crushed coral I'm hurting for ideas, please help me before this junk takes over my stock tank :(

- Jared

jman785
05/30/2003, 12:26 PM
bump

billsreef
06/01/2003, 06:08 AM
Jared,

Any chance of taking a picture to post?

Is this algae hair like or more sheet like, something like a coating of felt? How fast does it grow?

jman785
06/02/2003, 02:38 PM
I can't get a good shot of it to tell you the truth...but anyway its more like a hair algae, its not the felt type coat...but it has somewhat died but its still there in most places....when it first popped up, it spread all over the tank within a week or two...if I can go next door to the computer store, then I'll borrow a digital camera and try to get a good shot of it.

- jared