PDA

View Full Version : copper to treat ICH

tane
04/01/2001, 09:05 PM
Hi there,
The fishes in my tank have suddenly broken out in ICH. I don't use LR in my tank, so I believe that I can use copper to treat it. The question is if I use copper in the tank, would it be safe to put live rock in if I decide to change the tank to a FOWLR?

Thx.

FMarini
04/02/2001, 02:06 PM
HI:
okay...copper (especially the cupramine type products) are excellent for treating ich. You certinaly can use it in your Fish only tank. Beaware that you should monitor it w/ a copper test kit as there is a point where the copper is toxic. W/ that said copper will get into and stay resident in almost any porous material you put in the tank.
So if your asking to put live rock in after the copper treatment is done, and removed them I say fine. If youre asking to put the live rock in now before copper treatment. also fine, but the rock will leach copper for extended periods, and you might have problems keepin any inverts should you want to keep them.
also when your finished treating the ich (about 2-3weeks) i would remove the copper 2 ways 1)-water changes, and2)- add carbon or poolyfilters. Once the test kit reads zero, you should be ready to go. Did that answer your q?
frank

tane
04/02/2001, 07:06 PM
Hi there,
Yes you did answer my questions. Besides the live rock, are there any other 'porous' materials that have hig potential of absorbing the copper and then leaching it out later?

Thx

I