PDA

View Full Version : refugium set up / macro algae

multi striped 12
05/27/2003, 09:32 PM
Does this sound ok for refugium?.. for a 140 with W/D filter
Tee off one return line ,add a valve to control flow...
Flow left to right..I want to add a refugium in front of the W/D on a mini stand ...inlet top left.. out near top right for gravity feed into W/D sump ... put in a couple baffles for flow.. live sand..
macro algae.. lights for fuge on for some time at night 8 to 10 hrs ?... size will only be about 8 gal .. to small to do any good on a f/o wlr 140 ?
Or scrub the whole idea and add some macro algae to the main tank ?
I'm Tang free.
I don't have the best lighting at the moment 80 watts
50/50 coral life in stock Oceanic fixture
I'm getting an idea on price for making refugium from HQS?
Sorry if to many ?'s

Thank you for any input

multi striped 12
05/28/2003, 07:04 PM
Well I added some caulerpa today
I'll see how it does.
T/T Life Reef about making a refugium.
I think they will do a great job but if I can save some money
and avoid shipping costs.
Any local co's that can make an acrylic box a specific size?

Thanks
M S

luminary
05/28/2003, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure John (Ichthyman (http://reefcentral.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=4820)) has someone he works with. And I know some local reefers have some acrylic experience...

8 to 140 seems a bit small. I've got a 10 AGA aquarium as my fuge on my 50.

As for putting the macro in your main tank...if you go that route, be carefull. I've got this nightmare red macro in my display tank that I put there on purpose about 1 1/2 years ago. Now it's overgrown everything and I've been fightin it ever since. Sometimes it's difficult to keep it in check.

You could always just use a small glass aquarium (like a 10 or 15) as the fuge. You might be able to find someone to drill it if you need, though sometimes it's difficult to do on those thing glass tanks.

multi striped 12
05/28/2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks Matt
Yes I think all the stock small size tanks would work,but Iwant
to keep it under the stand and gravity feed the sump without moving skimmer etc... So I measured 22 long by 7 wide and about 12 high
thats my 8 gal. Yes I think it may be small also.. I'm not ready to re do the sump onthe w/d.

Yes I plan on keeping an eye on the algae
not sure how it will do with my lights.

Thanks
M S

REEFER-KEEPER
05/29/2003, 09:48 PM
let me know if you need a tank drilled, i just had a 55 gallon tank drilled for my 180 so i could use it as a refugium and a sump.found a glass company 10 min from home to do it for 15 bucks a hole.

multi striped 12
05/30/2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks R K
I found w/d that will be almost a perfect size for me to turn int a refugium.
The stock glass tanks are to wide for the space I have left under the stand.
That is good info to know however about the drilling.

M S