PDA

View Full Version : Kudos around the board! (Dolphin & LFS)

Aaron Shelley
03/31/2001, 08:19 AM
Just when you loose faith in vendors... Voila!

I couldn't stand the noise of my Iwaki 100rlt so I investigated and decided to purchase two of the new Dolphin SST 1200 pumps.

I went to the LFS and traded my Iwaki for the two SST 1200's (first kudo award :)).

After a month, the SST's calcified over and froze! I called Dolphin and they agreed to let me send them my two Dolphins SST 1200 pumps back in exchange for a more reliable and user friendly AMPMASTER 3000 (second kudo award :)).

Prior to shipping I realized the pumps I thought to be Dolphin SST 1200's were actually Customsealife T4's. I was bummed and thought I was SOL. I called Dolphin and they said for $50 more, they would take back the T4's and send me the AMPMASTER 3000 anyway (third kudo's:)).

I called Kyle, at the LFS and he couldn't believe that his distributor sent him the wrong pumps (Same pump, just different post production label for different distributor), and told me that he would order the AMPMASTER for me and trade me straight across after the pump came in! (Big LFS kudos to Kyle :))

SandM
04/17/2001, 12:30 PM
Aaron...I'm a bit confused. I was looking at getting a Custom Sea Life T-3 pump but am now a bit hesitant based on your post. What exactly went wrong with your pumps? Also are they they same as the Dolphin SST's? Thats what I got out of your last sentence. How do you like the AMP master? I'm looking for a quiet and reliable pump to replace my quiet and very unreliable "Quiet One" pump.

Scott

Aaron Shelley
04/17/2001, 01:55 PM
OK,

The Customsealife T4 and Dolphin sst1200 are the same pump made by the same pump manufacturer with the same specs. The only difference is the label put on them. They are even the same color.

The problem is that the titanium housing becomes encrusted with calcium that is literally heat baked on. These pumps get pretty hot. Once the inner housing of the impeller assembly gets really encrusted, the pump will freeze up.

At this point, you must disassemble the pump and scrub it with vinegar. It took the majority of the day on my two T4 pumps. Scrub for a while, soak, scrub again, soak some more, etc.

Beats the old stainless model, which actually eroded and rusted by the same process of calcification.

Dolphin now warns of this on their web page (so they told me) and warns about it when you call or email them about the pump.

Customsealife told my LFS the same thing.

Dolphin recommends the Ampmaster. Mine is on back order as I type this.

IMO, they are quiet little pumps, but maintenance is not worth it.

SandM
04/17/2001, 02:06 PM
So your pumps became encrusted in 1 month? Do you run a calcium reactor? I wonder why this encrusting problem is unique to these pumps.

Scott

Aaron Shelley
04/17/2001, 03:04 PM
Yep, about a month, maybe 6 weeks.

Not unique to these pumps, but unique to metal housing pumps.

That is why you don't see many metal housing pumps approved for reef or saltwater aquariums.

Snailman
04/17/2001, 07:44 PM
Repeat after me Iwaki, Iwaki, Iwaki... :)

SandM
04/17/2001, 10:10 PM
Aaron...thanks for the info. I think I'll go another route.

Snailman....how long have you run an Iwaki? Does it have the american made motor or the japanese one. Is it quiet?

Scott

Snailman
04/18/2001, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by SandM
Snailman....how long have you run an Iwaki? Does it have the american made motor or the japanese one. Is it quiet?
Scott

Over three years and it makes less noise than a much smaller LG or MAK. The smaller iwaki are very quiet but when a pump moves 2000GPH the water makes noise on its own. :) We own three MD100RLT pumps and a MD30RLT. We only use the japanese motors models. They are not cheap but they are good.