PDA

View Full Version : problem with a tang

fsmather
03/31/2001, 12:27 AM
One of my yellow tangs appears to have what looks like blood on the fins close to the body and speckled throughout the body. I don't know what this could possibly be. My boyfriend (who is out of town)is the fish person...I take care of the dog. Is there anything I should do?

billsreef
03/31/2001, 08:27 AM
Tell us what you know of the history of the tank, ie how long set up, how long as he had the tang, and what are the other tank mates. Also is it set up as a reeftank or fish only?

If you can do some water tests or get someone else (perhaps the local fish store) that would be of much help. The values we need are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salintiy and temp.

Reddness in the fins is often a sign a bacterial infection. Sometimes this can often be simply resolved by things such as water changes if there is a water quality problem, otherwise it will require medicating with a antibiotic such as nitrofuran or Mardels Salt Water Maracyn II

fsmather
03/31/2001, 09:19 AM
Okay, I checked the water conditions:
Ammonia = 0.0
pH = 8.0 (we live in an area with extremely hard H2O)
salinity = 1.019
temp = 77

There are two yellow tangs and they are fighting. I guess I should hit the fish store for some medicine.

billsreef
03/31/2001, 11:51 PM
TWO yellow tangs in the same tank!?!

You need to seperate them, they just will not get along together in a tank. That is most likely the source of stress causing the syptoms you are seeing. Also the pH could stand to come up some, around 8.2-8.4 is normal SW pH.