PDA

View Full Version : making sure i bought the proper algea

hip68
05/24/2003, 06:09 PM
I bought a small clump of what i believe is spagetti algea to help the filtration in my girlfriends 2.5g nano tank. However the shop owner had never heard the term "spagetti" before and i want to make sure i got the right stuff. The algea is thing and stringy just like i would expect , but at the ends of some of the "stalks" is some small groupings of bulbs. It also looks like grape caulerpa. From what i understand, spagetti doesnt go sexual and dump junk back into the water like some of the other species do. I have it rubberbanded around a piece of live rock and set over in the back corner of the tank.

Did i in fact get spagetti and if i did not what do i need to look for to make sure it doesnt dump toxins back into the water. The tank is only 2.5 total gallons with about a gallon and a half of actual water. ANY change to the chemistry will have a HUGE impact on it.

Thanks!

SPC
05/24/2003, 06:21 PM
Spagetti algae has no bulbs on it, it looks like....well.... thin spagetti:) .
Steve

hip68
05/24/2003, 06:32 PM
Most of them do look like green angel hair spagetti. But on some , even tho they all look identical, they have these small groupings of bulbs. So i guess its possible i got some other species along with. They have several large tanks with all kinds of algeas in em.