PDA

View Full Version : Worst fish store in Wisconsin? (somewhat a review of a few)

Mikey Kliff
05/23/2003, 08:25 PM
Well just yesterday I drove up to stay at my freinds house in oshkosh, today on my way back, i stopped at Petco in oshkosh, Bubbys in Fondle Sack, and Pet Central in fondle mysack aswell.

Petco- blah, that one up there never impresses me, they did howeverhave a cherub angel 2" at most, for 30$... nothin else worthwjile

Bubbys- Worst ive seen in the state- Why? Damsels were the most expensive'est I have ever seen!
Blue damsels were 13.99! I walked in and saw that , i figured it was a typo, so i looked at other damsels, 4 stripe 12.99
Blue yellowtail 10.99!!!!! Tiny yellow tangs for 29.99 - thats not so bad, but the damsel prices made me walk out in a big hurry!

Granted there tanks were nice looking for the most part, but there freshwater plants wernt even labeled! and they had quite a few, After seeing those damsel prices I will never go back there. Not to mention there odd hours, closing early alot.

Pet Central- stopped in there a few weeks ago when i went up to get my sand, i saw some decent priced quality fish there previously. This time i was glad to see the same 20$ brown tang was still there! AND FAT! oh man, he had a nice size stomach, and great coloring and spots! for only 19.99 I asked what he was eating and how long it was there, Frozen Brine, and Romain lettuce. And he was there for about a month according to the guy. So i got him home, acclimated him, he was kinda hiding for about 5 minutes, then came out and was grazing! :) I'm so happy with him.

Other bad pet shops in Wisconsin ive been to-
Noahs Ark Pet's - that crappy place in Sheboygan! Dirty tanks, dirty store, crap laying all over, average priced fish ............yet the prices arnt on the tanks, you have to ask them...... and half the tanks are empty!

I cant think of any bad petshops down here near milwaukee.

How about you guys?

ryan5943
05/23/2003, 11:44 PM
i was in beloit yesterday and stopped by a couple shops i can't remember the name but 1 i went as soon as i walked into the fishroom there was a liverock tank setup the liverock had no corraline and was completely covered in hair algae reaching lengths close to 6 inches.
then i turned around to check out the fish and i saw a half a dozen tanks completely over run with aiptasia anemone's and believe it or not they were selling them for $.99 apiece.

anyway i've been stopping all over in wisconsin except milwaukee since it's not in my territory and they had by far the worst saltwater i've ever seen

oh and all the tanks that weren't covered in aiptasia easily had anywhere from 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch of decaying food in all the tanks
and it smelled like ****

last week i was in rhinelander and stopped by the fostersmith warehouse to pickup some supplies and now they have 1 tank setup and you can buy some stuff from liveaquaria they get and i got the biggest snails i've ever seen for sale
which snails seemed hit and miss for me until these

ryan

Schmev
05/24/2003, 12:58 AM
Great to see someone finally bought that brown tang from Pet Central! It's been there for ages. I go every few days, well, I kinda know many of the people who work there and those who own it. Great store! Tell them I sent you ;) Yeah, that tang rocks, always was a favorite of mine during my visits!

Mikey Kliff
05/25/2003, 01:19 AM
Im going to take pictures of it soon, His stomach is still fat! and lumpy LOL, he crapped in the bag when I took him home, alota crap!

I live by waukesha, so i doubt ill be up there anytime soon

Schmev
05/25/2003, 01:01 PM
Heh, you should be happy to know I bought your Brown Tang's tankmate, a Six-Line Wrasse. Both those fish have been together for like a month straight. Isn't it cool we both own them? :) Both of those fish were about the happiest, healthiest fish I've ever seen!

Mikey Kliff
05/26/2003, 09:40 PM
LOL sweet, when did you but it? he wasnt in there when i picked up the tang, (who is doing GREAT)

I saw him a few weeks ago , how much was he ?

Schmev
05/26/2003, 10:39 PM
I bought him last week, 15.99, but I had a 12 dollar store credit I wanted to use up :) 4 bucks for him :D

Mikey Kliff
05/27/2003, 02:48 PM
WOW
great deal on a six line

Schmev
05/28/2003, 12:05 AM
Yeah, Art is generally more than fair with his livestock prices. My six-Line eats like a pig :) But hey, I knew I couldn't go wrong with that fish, it's been in his tank for over a month, so you know right then it's gonna be a winner. Same with that Brown Tang you bought shortly after I grabbed the Wrasse.

Schmev
05/28/2003, 12:07 AM
By the way, how's that Brown Tang? I really liked that guy :) I'll miss seeing him :sniffle: What do you feed him? I had considered a tang for my 90 someday.

Mikey Kliff
05/28/2003, 12:53 AM
Didnt he have 2? maybe its just me, but i swore he had another

I was going to take pics earlier but i didnt..........

Lights are out now, tomorow i plan on taking a bunch of pics of the whole tank

Mikey Kliff
05/28/2003, 01:58 PM
Okay everyone, heres my AWSOME Scopas Tang!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/22530scopastang.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/22530scopastang.jpg

Im loving it, he seems to have a certain little spot where he hides if he gets startled...... grazes all over, eats like a pig. Not harassing anyone either

I have about 12 other pics up too, check them out and reply on the thingy

jayinc
06/08/2003, 08:32 PM
Your scopas is gorgeous! He looks exactly like the one I've got in my tank (they were probably twins separated at birth).

Anyway, I was hoping someone could tell me where this Pet Central is located. I live in Madison but make regular trips up to the Appleton/Oshkosh area and would like to check it out.

Thanks.

Oh, both Aquatic Specialties and The Aquarium Superstore are both great stores in Madison, if you're ever in the area.

hwynboy
07/13/2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ryan5943
i was in beloit yesterday and stopped by a couple shops i can't remember the name but 1 i went as soon as i walked into the fishroom there was a liverock tank setup the liverock had no corraline and was completely covered in hair algae reaching lengths close to 6 inches.
then i turned around to check out the fish and i saw a half a dozen tanks completely over run with aiptasia anemone's and believe it or not they were selling them for $.99 apiece.

anyway i've been stopping all over in wisconsin except milwaukee since it's not in my territory and they had by far the worst saltwater i've ever seen

oh and all the tanks that weren't covered in aiptasia easily had anywhere from 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch of decaying food in all the tanks
and it smelled like ****

last week i was in rhinelander and stopped by the fostersmith warehouse to pickup some supplies and now they have 1 tank setup and you can buy some stuff from liveaquaria they get and i got the biggest snails i've ever seen for sale
which snails seemed hit and miss for me until these

ryan

Was that store called Hemmys? or Hemmies? in Beloit