PDA

View Full Version : NEw Sand

jaydog121
05/23/2003, 10:55 AM
I am setting up 100g reef tank, I will be transfering the live sand from my 60g. What is the best way to introduce the new and old sand. Do wash it? What is the best way to do so? Old on top of new. Stir it?, Lokking for som help for the best solution.....You have all been very helpfull thus far....

Thanks a million.

JAson:mixed: :bum:

Zombeezy
05/23/2003, 11:20 AM
It sounds like you are transferring both old & new sand - new from a new source, and old live from the 60. In that case, since the live sand is being disturbed any way, I'd mix the new with it slowly as you add it. If the live was already in place, I'd say slowly add it on top. But this way, you don't have an obvious line between the two and it'll get the new to become live sooner.

That's how I'd do it, but then again, I usually research things first. Of course, without doing any research, I just added new sand on top of my live, and left the live as is.

As far as washing, no to live sand, and yes to new if it requires it. Hopefully the new sand is such that it doesn't need it. Where are you getting the new sand from?

:hammer:
:hmm4:

Anthony Calfo
05/23/2003, 11:44 AM
Agreed... :)

old sand on top (little or no rinsing)... and I'm inclined not to rinse the new either. All to an empty tank to prevent clouding (fill tank slowly and water will stay clear from Go). The fine sand readily dissolves and provides minerals... rinsing it is self-defeating.