PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for tanks to measure...

mkirda
05/22/2003, 04:31 PM
During the IMAC conference, I gave some results from several tanks I had tested for light levels. The results from there are being written up, and will be submitted shortly.

However, I'd like to do more tanks yet. Ideally, I'd like to test 20-30 systems to do a follow-up article.

So far, I've had very, very few takers.

It would take about an hour. I normally ask for some help, i.e. I take readings, you would write them down. I give people the numbers so they have some idea of the light levels in their tanks.

Only thing is, I need to have access to the top of the tank in order to place the probe into the water. I've been to a number of people's homes while I was photographing tanks last summer where measurements were just not possible.

Anyone interested, please respond here or contact me directly.

Oh, and all sorts of lighting systems, be they metal halide, CF, VHO, LED, or that great big orb in the sky... Doesn't matter, I need data from them all.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

ReefHobbyist
05/22/2003, 05:18 PM
Mike,

I will offer my tank. 2x175 10K MH plus 2x95W VHO actinic. I will be updating to 2x400 10K once IceCap re-releases their new ballast.

I would mind having numbers before and after the upgrade.

Scott

reefkeeper1976
05/22/2003, 10:28 PM
I'll offer mine as well I'm interested in light levels in my tank.

makoshark
05/23/2003, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure I want to know the answers but you can use mine if you like. I have a mix of VHO and NO lighting.

kellypark
05/23/2003, 09:00 AM
Mine too.
I am using T-5 lights..

PacRim
05/23/2003, 09:23 AM
You can test mine. I run 2-250W Halides with 4-110W VHOs on my 120G. I also have a 20G with a 55W PC and another 20G with
2-65W PCs.

mkirda
05/23/2003, 11:36 AM
Since I've gotten a few responses, I'll post this publicly.

I will e-mail each of you to get a sense of where you live and see if I can do a weekend day where I can hit up more than one person's tanks.

Will be out of town this weekend, but should be available most of June.

I will bring my camera to take whole-tank photos. I may also take some coral shots if I find something interesting. :)

Anyway, will be in touch soon.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

shawnmarnie
05/23/2003, 03:50 PM
I have a 29 galleon reef tank with 2X55 watt pc lighting on it you could test the 75 galleon i have is still in the building stage and only has a 250 watt mh on it and not even thhe 1 i will be keeping on it as there is nothing but fish in it but the 29 galleon is probably good to test I live in bensenville by ohare so probably close to you.

pondfrog
05/24/2003, 01:41 PM
Hi Mike,
you can do mine as well. I have 4x110 w VHO and the 2x250 watt AB DE halides. Let me know when.
Steve

mkirda
06/18/2003, 03:50 PM
I've gone ahead and either e-mailed or PM'd all those who replied.

I'd like to do a few this weekend, if possible. It this would work for you, please let me know which city you are in, possible times, and phone number.

I'll try to group people together, if possible...

Thanks!
Mike Kirda

kellypark
06/18/2003, 03:55 PM
Which day (sat. or Sun.) and what time are you thinking about?
I am playing golf on sat. morning and going to shopping with my family on Sunday.
but I should be OK. on Sat. evening or sunday early morning.

Let me know.

mkirda
06/18/2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by kellypark
Which day (sat. or Sun.) and what time are you thinking about?
I am playing golf on sat. morning and going to shopping with my family on Sunday.
but I should be OK. on Sat. evening or sunday early morning.

Let me know.

I should be out on Saturday morning with CMAS's prez and vice-prez attending to some club business, then grabbing some pancakes. I expect we will all be done by noon at the latest...

From there, it is just a matter of driving out to wherever.

Have e-mailed/pm'd everyone, so please respond to that. Thanks!

Regards.
Mike Kirda

MARSHALL MANN
06/19/2003, 04:47 AM
mike i am in the buffallo grove area and have plenty of systems here to test. i have 8 great systems with all different configurations, what can i say its a 1 stop shop. so if you you plan to come out by me it would deffinately keep you busy all day. i plan to be around most of the weekend, just let me know if you want to come by? send me a pm and i will send you back my ph # for directions

makoshark
06/19/2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by mkirda
I've gone ahead and either e-mailed or PM'd all those who replied.

I'd like to do a few this weekend, if possible. It this would work for you, please let me know which city you are in, possible times, and phone number.

I'll try to group people together, if possible...

Thanks!
Mike Kirda

YGM!

I'm in the western suburbs.

mkirda
06/22/2003, 10:59 PM
I visited 1 person on Saturday and four today. Have nine new data sets for many different setups...

I will contact the remaining folks over the next few days to see if I can try to finish up the rest one of the weekends coming up...

Thanks again to everyone!

Regards.
Mike Kirda

adamgrandprix
06/24/2003, 02:01 PM
Hi Mike -

You measured my 55gal. in Palatine last summer.

I'm now setting up a 125 gallon at my new place in Hoffman Estates and you are welcome to measure it once it is all done (might take me another month or two though). Lighting will be primarily MH (1x500W and 2x250W) with VHO supplementing as well (IceCap 660 - not sure of the config I'll put in yet).

Planning a DSB and medium amount of rock.

- Adam