PDA

View Full Version : Local Stores?

emull
05/21/2003, 10:25 PM
I will be out your way July 25 and 26, and I will be looking for some time to kill I will be staying at the Raddison Hotel Pittsburgh Greentree. I was wondering if there is any LFS to visit?

musicsmaker
05/21/2003, 10:59 PM
If you are still around on the 28th, there is a frag swap at Robs house.

emull
05/22/2003, 02:55 PM
No we are just going to be there for a model and talent search. Then back home( 6 hour drive). :eek1:

Python73
05/23/2003, 10:20 PM
Musicmaker - that's JUNE 28th!!! :eek1:

Emull - I'll post a list and brief description of most of our stores tomorrow for you.

S !

Python73
05/26/2003, 06:26 AM
Sorry about the wait, forgot I posted this. Anyway, here is some PGH LFS info. Sadly, the only store close to where you are staying is closing. Here are the remaining stores and estimated drive times.

Atlantis - rt51 - 15 min drive - Focus on saltwater. Good selection of corals and fish. High to very high prices balanced by top quality stock. Decent selection of dry goods. Owner is very knowledgeable, workers are hit and miss.

Wet Pets - rt79 - 20 min drive - Large salt and fresh selection. More rare/unusual fish than any other PGH store with prices to match. Nice coral display with OUTRAGEOUS prices. Very extensive dry goods. The saltwater staff is typical for a LFS.

Elmer's - business 22 - 20 min drive - Huge freshwater, medium saltwater selection. One tank of corals, none of which are marked. ID creatures with a point and "that one." All corals $47 unless marked, which they aren't. Fish somewhere between dead and okay looking, depending on what day you are there. Extensive dry goods, cheapest tanks in the area. Marine staff questionable at best.

Pet Supplies Plus Monroeville - business 22 - 20 min drive - Medium fresh and saltwater selection. One 220g coral display. Great prices on most livestock and dry goods. 2 knowledgable and friendly marine staff. Not a great place to browse, but this is where I buy 90% of my livestock.

Seahorse - rt 8 / PA Tpike exit 4 - 30 minute drive - Extensive saltwater selection kept in tiny 1 gallon cells. Diverse selection mixed between common and animals that are best left in the ocean. High prices with an occasional surprise. Three coral displays with overpriced and mislabeled corals. Moderate stock of dry goods. Staff can read labels and not much else, service without a smile. Not worth the drive unless bored.

DISCLAIMER:

ALL OPINIONS HERE ARE JUST THAT, OPINIONS!! I didn't write anything here that I feel is unfair or untrue, nor anything I wouldn't say to the people in these stores if asked. I am generally a surly, disgruntled ***** who points out that the half empty glass is dirty. But I do frequent most of these stores.

There are some other stores around that are out of my range or that I forgot. Maybe someone else will fill in / rebutt.

S !