PDA

View Full Version : Puget Sound Tank

crazyfishlady
05/21/2003, 10:13 PM
Anybody have a local tank?

The "marine science" teacher at my school is asking me for tips as to how to keep her tank from crashing when she sets it up next year.

She does have a good chiller. I am a bit jealous:p

Is the approach any different for coldwater reefs vs. tropical?
Thanks!
Erika

skylsdale
05/22/2003, 08:55 AM
Do a search on RC for "coldwater" and a few good threads should pop up (just make sure you set the search function to any date "and OLDER"!) Rhiggsbear from over here in Central WA kept one for a few years and has some good tips.

A couple things is to make sure the water is kept cold (I would try to keep it as much in the 40's as possible...maybe low to mid 50's). Another is feeding the tank enough, which is going to warrant a great filtration system. Also be sure that what she is collecting is legal to collect...intertidal areas would probably be best since these critters are accustomed to extremes and would probably prove hardier in a captive system.

There was also a guy who posted in this PSAS forum a few months ago about a local tank he set up as well...maybe try to get ahold of him.

crazyfishlady
05/22/2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks skysdale! I actually thought I remembered reading a post from you about coldwater before.

She does have a good chiller - the tank is at 48 degrees. But she is using a pitiful UG filter on her 180 gallon and that's it.

It has worked in the past when she didn't she had extremely low bioload and maintained frequent water changes. Tha tank has been around for about five years or so.

One big problem that I discovered yesterday is that she breaks down and sets up the tank every year. Those cold water bacteria hardly have the chance to get established.

I am pretty sure she knows about the collecting rules. All the marine science teachers work with the Marine Science Center in Poulsbo. I am not sure why she came to me for aquarium advice insteadof them but I will try to help her.

Thanks again!
Erika