PDA

View Full Version : SPS at next meeting?

Stix
05/21/2003, 10:42 AM
Hey guys. I've fallen under the spell of SPS corals. I'm gonna get rid of my softies and focus on SPS since my frags are doing great under my new T5 upgraded lights. Even the blues are bright and holding up nicely. So does anyone have any frags or colonies for sale for this meeting? I'm gonna bring cash. How about you, Les? Will there be any big colonies to frag?
-Nick

Justjoe
05/23/2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Stix
Hey guys. I've fallen under the spell of SPS corals. I'm gonna get rid of my softies and focus on SPS since my frags are doing great under my new T5 upgraded lights. Even the blues are bright and holding up nicely. So does anyone have any frags or colonies for sale for this meeting? I'm gonna bring cash. How about you, Les? Will there be any big colonies to frag?
-Nick

Has the next meeting date been set yet? I can bring some SPS, anything of special interest?
Joe

zebrasoma17
05/23/2003, 07:36 PM
Joe:

Next meeting Sat, May 31 at 2:00 PM at the dance studio across from Fishy Inc.

Al

Easily Distracted
05/23/2003, 09:15 PM
For anyone reading this, check the thread about the next meeting at the top (with a sticky) of the LIRC forum.

Justjoe,
Was that you who brought the amphipods, chaetomorpha and mysis last time? If so, I am looking for a portion of any pods and a double portion of chaetomorpha. If not, can anyone else help?

Also, I've been looking for halimeda, shaving brush or turtle grass.

Always looking for zoos and rics.

As far as fragging sps, I have been fascinated by orange digitas and birdsnest lately

Wow. I didn't realize my wish list was so big.

Justjoe
05/23/2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Easily Distracted
For anyone reading this, check the thread about the next meeting at the top (with a sticky) of the LIRC forum.

Justjoe,
Was that you who brought the amphipods, chaetomorpha and mysis last time? If so, I am looking for a portion of any pods and a double portion of chaetomorpha. If not, can anyone else help?

Also, I've been looking for halimeda, shaving brush or turtle grass.

Always looking for zoos and rics.

As far as fragging sps, I have been fascinated by orange digitas and birdsnest lately

Wow. I didn't realize my wish list was so big.

I should be able to make the meeting with chaeto in hand, not sure on the amphipods though.
Joe

Easily Distracted
05/23/2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Joe!

Stix
05/24/2003, 02:43 PM
Hey Joe,
I don't have MH but want to see if my T5 setup will grow SPS (so far it is working better than I expected). So I'm just trying out frags, even if they aren't of something I like. Basically, I want to try as many different colors and species I can get my hands on just for personal observations. So if you have nice/rare or just diverse colors and species, those would be cool. Let me know. I just got paid for this this week so bring whateva you got :p

Easily Distracted
05/27/2003, 02:18 PM
Stix,
Why don't you start out with a hearty frag or two to see if it will work and then progress toward more fragile ones when the heartier ones prove to work. It's not as immediate, but you will reduce potential die off of innocent corals.:( I've been there myself.:rolleyes:

Stix
05/27/2003, 09:14 PM
My success over the past 6 months with T5 (I've had T5 b4 but just added actinics too)......

Montipora Digitata (tan) : tripled in size from a frag.

Montipora Digitata (green) : got it a month ago and it has encrusted onto my rock and is growing. Color is great.

Montipora Digitata (orange) : same as the green, got them together, same results.

Montipora Digitata (purple) : got a tiny frag from Marc about a month ago or a little more and it has doubled in size. The tips were white when I got it and now they are soooo purple. i swear it looks like a bowling ball purple lol.

Montipora Capricornis (reddish pink) tiny frag got it when I got the green and orange digis and it has excrusted as well and is growing over the rock. (Sorry JBNY, I lost your frag of the purple rimmed. Fish must have knocked it over and i couldnt find it).

Blue Tipped Staghorn and 3 other different staghorns are all fully extended and growing. I have purple showing in one of them and the blue tip's tips are bright as can be!

Green Pocillopora frag I got from Andrew (along with the acros i mentioned above) is fully extended and too soon to see growth (1 week). But it bright green too.

I think that's all my SPS and I haven't lost any yet. I am scared to try a colony just yet but I think it's safe to say I can try some harder frags now.

Easily Distracted
05/27/2003, 09:28 PM
stix,
It sounds like I'm gonna be asking you for frags soon.
I misunderstood your post and thought you were just trying SPS for the first time and wanted to go nuts. :o

If you want me to pick up a frag from oceanrealm, he's about 5 minutes away from me. The frags I got were very healthy and colorful. They were even extending their polyps in the bags while I was aclimating them. I'm trying to convince him to come if his schedule permits. Shoot me a PM if interested. -John

JohnL
05/27/2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Easily Distracted
If you want me to pick up a frag from oceanrealm, he's about 5 minutes away from me.

What town is he in? Is he a LIRA member?

Easily Distracted
05/27/2003, 10:22 PM
JohnL,
Sent you a PM. -John

JB NY
05/28/2003, 07:52 AM
What frags does he have? I've conversed with him like 5 times to trade and I never can get a list of anything he has. All I get is a small pic of a side shot of the tank that I can't make out any individual SPS or even which ones are for trade/sale.

Easily Distracted
05/28/2003, 08:06 AM
I think it's because he is not trying to propogate to sell. I think he just needs to do periodic pruning. I'll try to take some pics of what I got from him as examples. Off the top of my head, I think he had ready- Green digitata, blue tipped bottleneck, a red polyped birdsnest, bright green slimer and a couple of others. I'm sorry but I'm still not good with the names. I'm trying to get him to come to the next meeting with frags if his schedule permits. He was at a couple of the first meetings but has not been able to make it since.

reefman456
06/04/2003, 12:55 PM
John the person you got the acro frags from, did you get to see his tank ? That tank is one of the best tanks I have ever seen. I highly recommend to anyone interested in acros to arrange a appointment with him. Im already on my 3rd visit, frags always polyped out and grow very well.

Easily Distracted
06/04/2003, 01:01 PM
Agreed. I have had no luck in the past with SPS and shied away from them. Now that I have something to compare them to, I think it was because of the condition of the frags in the LFS. You could tell these were healthier the minute I put them in my tank. I've got the SPS bug now.

Stix
06/04/2003, 02:32 PM
Easily Distracted, just out of curiosity, what is your setup like (flow, lighting, and CA supplementation) and what is the guy with the nice acro tank's setup like (flow, lighting, and CA supplementation)?

Easily Distracted
06/04/2003, 08:22 PM
Stix,
I'd go into my setup, but it's actually kind of embarrasing and I don't want to get laughed off the board. Let's just say, it's so retro, that if I wait a little longer, it might be the "in" thing again.
I'm actually in a slow process of updating the whole system with a sump and refugium and stuff. Who knows, maybe I'll even get a Ca reactor(I actually hope to at some point). For now, I've been using a little Kent Calcium and Liquid Reactor as my main additives and have been very happy with the results.:rolleye1:

I don't remember much about captivereef's system. I was too transfixed on the livestock to remember much except for a HUGE skimmer.