PDA

View Full Version : zoo fragging advice needed!

stocker
05/21/2003, 05:40 AM
To all you zoo experts:
How big should a colony be before you frag it. Or doesn't it matter.
For example, I have a piece, 2 to 3 inches, and the piece is fully covered.
Am I able to frag it, or should I wait .
Thank You

minh_han
05/21/2003, 08:00 AM
I personally think you can frag zoos at any stage, any size. It only takes two or three, sometimes only one, polyp to eventually create another colony. I have some zoos that I have done just that.

ronreef
05/21/2003, 02:30 PM
The trick is fragging 2 zoos if there stuck to the rock. Some don't peel off so easily.

Whisperer
05/25/2003, 01:53 PM
Just place a rock beside the colony, make sure the rock touches the polyps on the edge of the colony. Water flow must be gentle for the polyps to stick to the new rock. You can hasten this process by using glue (the ones used for fragging).

musicsmaker
05/26/2003, 05:50 PM
I've had my best luck with just cutting a polyp off at its stem. Usually the zoa will start a runner from the exposed part of the cut. This has been my experience anyway.

I've also had good luck peeling a polyp off and cutting the existing runner. I glue it down directly under the polyp and try to be sure that the runner is touching the rock also. The runner should start a new polyp and continue running right along.

There is really no wrong way to frag zoas. As long as you do not glue the polyp shut, it should be ok. HTH