PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cycle

esoxreefer
05/20/2003, 08:05 AM
WOW! thats all I can say!

Day 9- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, Spec Gravity 1.024, calcium 420 mg/l. Diatoms (at least thats what I think the brownish algae on the glass and the base rock is) has kicked in, just like I was expecting. Perhaps I should get a silicate remover?

Not doing too badly so far! I should have my MH lighting this week (either today or tomorrow) and the Bac Pak too. I do think that I am going to strip the bio filtering from the Bac Pak and just keep in some good carbon. I might also add in a peice or two of new live rock once it has settled in for a while at the store.

I will definitely be putting in my little yellow assesor shortly, I need to have something to watch besides the hermit crabs. I think there will also be a serpent star added. I want to make sure that the detritus is taken care of to prevent it from becoming a problem.

Corals soon I hope, I am thinking later next week if everything still looks good!

Drew

fishr
05/20/2003, 05:25 PM
Had the same thing happen to my tank right after it finshed cycling: A crapload of diatom and green algea. I found that hermit and snails can be your best friends. Yes - they helped tremendously.

It took a good addional two weeks to remove all the diatoms out of the tank. Welcome to the next stage of the process, Drew or at least in my opinion.