PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law

dela
05/19/2003, 12:18 PM
After carefully drilling 2 holes in my soon to be display tank, moving the corals and rock out of the old display tank, transferring the sand to the new tank, and putting everything back together.... and in the process of putting the used water back in the tank.....

I see water coming out of the bottom of the tank! Apparently the silicone seals were no longer any good!!!

So, anyone want a leaky 29g tank? :D

I was thinking of bringing it to the SEASL frag trade! ha ha! Just kidding.

Josh125
05/19/2003, 03:36 PM
Oh man, that the way it goes sometimes. Atleast you caught it, it could have sprung about 1 AM :p

dela
05/19/2003, 03:55 PM
That is a scary thought! :eek1:

I'm thinking those water alarms are not such a crazy idea after all.

wonderboy23
05/19/2003, 06:55 PM
Is that the one I gave you? Weird It held water when I used it. If so sorry about that.

dela
05/20/2003, 08:40 AM
Sorry I broke your tank!

Who knows why it leaked. Maybe I somehow weakened the seals by moving/drilling it? I think once I get all the sand back out of it, I will try and see if I can fix it. Especially since the second tank was tempered!!! :rolleyes:

Back to the drawing board I guess! ;)

griss
05/21/2003, 04:05 PM
Mark, sorry to hear about the tank break, but man you break more tanks than anyone I know. What the heck are you doing to those poor things?

:D

George

dela
05/22/2003, 08:49 AM
Hey, I've only broken two! :D

I think I can fix the leaky one so that does not really count! But the tempered one... That one is going to be a little harder to fix! :D

kmk2307
06/07/2003, 10:53 PM
Hey dela,
What kind of drill bit did you use? Comments / suggestions on how you drilled it? I am looking to make two 2" holes in my new 75.

Thanks!
Kevin

griss
06/09/2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by kmk2307
Hey dela,
What kind of drill bit did you use? Comments / suggestions on how you drilled it? I am looking to make two 2" holes in my new 75.

Thanks!
Kevin
My Jedi senses tell me that we will soon see a thread by Kevin about his broken 75 gallon tank:D

George

dela
06/09/2003, 08:47 AM
If the pane of glass you are trying to drill is tempered, then you just can’t drill it. If the glass is not tempered, then it’s pretty easy to drill with a rotary tool. (Don’t know how a drill would work with this method) And it looks like the new rotary tools are faster and have hole drilling attachments. I just have an old one.

The bit I used is just a regular dremel diamond tipped bit.

I bought mine at lowes for $9.00.

Basically you draw your hole. Then put a ring of some sort (plastic cup, duct tape roll, whatever…) around the hole to keep liquid in the drilling area. Then pour water into the drilling area, drill a hole straight in, and then saw your way along your line.

bit (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=NAVIGATION&CNTKEY=market%2fpg_zip_code.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1855428973.1055166087@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadciidjfeffcgelceffdfgidgnl.0&search_text=diamond%20dremel&DRC=4)

For some reason it won't let me link directly.