PDA

View Full Version : Standalone or Pc based controller schematic

banger
05/18/2003, 07:30 PM
Hi,

I posted a schematic for a stand alone or pc-based controller. You can view it here: www.instanet.com/~banger

dieselfish
05/18/2003, 07:34 PM
Ok what about those of us that do not understand all the computer mumbo jumbo. How's it work?

banger
05/18/2003, 08:18 PM
It can work two ways. You can use it as an interface for a computer, allowing the computer to monitor and control everything. Or you can use it as a stand alone controller, in which case it will function on its own. As an interface for a computer, there will need to be software on the computer to monitor the functions and determine what to turn on/off etc. As a stand alone, it can monitor ph, temperature etc. Turn lights on/off at different times, simulate sunrise sunset, moon cycles etc. Basically it all comes down to what software is loaded into it. It is designed to be a simple, low cost controller, that is easy to develop on.

teslo
05/26/2003, 07:38 AM
I am new in those yours forums and few days ago I noticed this thread about DIY aquarium controller.
But in a year when your group start to thinking about this project almost nothing happened? I can not found any progress in group "sensor team"??
Only one who is making some steps in right way is "banger" who put us a schematics about their AQuarium controller based on PIC controller. Excellent work..
Our group of aquarists get the same results of using AVR controller with connection to PC in three weeks...Now we collect information about probes connection to AVR.

Where is a problem with this your project?
Even specification of controller was not set up in one year??

alligator
05/28/2003, 03:13 PM
We are having trouble because everyone wants to participate, but very few people have the skills to select a standard and develop schematics.

If you want to help, post what you can offer!

bstreib
05/30/2003, 04:55 AM
Hello again Alligator,

I'm still here and working on my DIY sensors. I sent alot of info to the old webmaster but it never got posted before he left the project. Here's a neat little schematic for you. It is a current transformer. It detects whether or not a device is drawing electrical current. This can be used to determine whether or not the main tank return pump is working and trigger an event should it fail.
I have 4 articles about how to build it and interface it differently but they run between 250 and 350k each and are to large to post here. I am working on a low cost magnetic stack flow meter to use with the current transformer to monitor actual water flow but will take awhile to iron the bugs out of it. Hope you enjoy the circuit.

banger
07/15/2003, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I have been working on the pc based controller schematic, and have added an ethernet/web interface to the unit. The board layout is almost completed as well. I will be looking for people who are interested in testing and debugging the boards.

Chris

mbelding
07/23/2003, 03:01 PM
Chris,
I'm very excited to see what you've developed. I've been dreaming up something similar in my head since I started reefing a two years ago.
I'd be happy to trail run your hardware and start developing on it when you're ready for me too. I have lots of electronics resources and knowledge to hammer away at this with. Just let me know when the time comes.

Mark Belding
markbelding@hotmail.com

banger
07/23/2003, 06:10 PM
Hi,

I have updates the web site with pricing info, and have added a component list. We should be ready to place an order for boards soon. I would like to get about 10 orders before we have them made. This will help keep the cost down.

www.instanet.com/~banger

Thanks

Chris

laja9801
07/30/2003, 08:39 AM
Is this thread still active? Are people watching it? I have programmed the PIC micro before so I am familiar with it and have done projects using RS232. Let me know how it is coming and if you still need help.

mbelding
08/08/2003, 05:39 PM
Hi Chris,
I've been looking over the schematics and have a few questions.
First, are you supplying the software to communicate with the PIC and all the resources attached to it? Are you supplying the PIC code? I can write in VB, and can talk out the serial port, but don't know how to talk over Ethernet. Probably something not too difficult to learn based on what I already know though. My computer will be about 100ft from my tank, so it would be good to communicate over Ethernet. I have tested RS232 to work at 100ft though.
If we can't get 10 buys soon enough, are you interested in having 3 boards built for $100? www.4pcb.com is a great service that I've used before. How many layers is the board as you've layed it out? What software are you using for schematic capture? Board layout?
I'm ready to buy one, stuff it, test it, etc when ready. I'm also ready to start building and/or designing sensors if that's the next step.

banger
08/08/2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by mbelding
Hi Chris,
I've been looking over the schematics and have a few questions.
First, are you supplying the software to communicate with the PIC and all the resources attached to it? Are you supplying the PIC code? I can write in VB, and can talk out the serial port, but don't know how to talk over Ethernet. Probably something not too difficult to learn based on what I already know though. My computer will be about 100ft from my tank, so it would be good to communicate over Ethernet. I have tested RS232 to work at 100ft though.
If we can't get 10 buys soon enough, are you interested in having 3 boards built for $100? www.4pcb.com is a great service that I've used before. How many layers is the board as you've layed it out? What software are you using for schematic capture? Board layout?
I'm ready to buy one, stuff it, test it, etc when ready. I'm also ready to start building and/or designing sensors if that's the next step.

Hi,

Things have been a bit slow, since work has been a bit overwhelming lately. I will probably post the gerber files for those who want to have boards made. Hopefully people will be kind enough to share the pic code they write for it. The ethernet is pretty simple, the interface has all the intelligence built into it, so you can program it from a web interface. The ethernet interface communicates with the pic through a serial interface. All the schematics and board layout were done with Orcad.

mbelding
08/13/2003, 03:02 PM
Ok, all those who expressed ability in programming PIC microcontrollers -- here's your chance! Will a couple of you volunteer to earnestly start working on an interface to Banger's board? I'd like to start writing Visual Basic code to talk to the PIC over RS232, and later Ethernet, if I can find someone to start programming the PIC. I'll need someone to help agree on how the PIC and the PC will exchange data and commands.

Mark

algaefree
09/24/2003, 11:02 AM
Well, it looks like I'm the late arrival to the party. I am an Electrical Engineer at an RnD facility here in Michigan. In the last six months, I have written programs for 5 different PICs and have the capability to program any chip Microchip has come out with. I have all the C Compilers (HiTech and CCS), and all the necessary hardware for programming (ICD and ICD2 programmers.) I also do all my own schematics and board layouts using ORCAD. I am in the middle of designing a new reef, but I am willing to help out where I can.

banger
10/19/2003, 01:45 AM
Hi,

Sorry it has been a while. Been off to europe for a couple months. But anyways, the board layout is finished, and the gerber file has been posted to the website. If people would like to order boards, please let me know and we will try to place a larger order and get a better deal.

www.instanet.com/~banger

Thanks

Chris