PDA

View Full Version : Star Fish

The Saltwater Kid
05/17/2003, 05:06 PM
I have a fish/live rock tank right now but may get more reef oriented in the future and was just wondering what kind of star fish are the best? I've heard that Orange Linkia (a.k.a.-Red Linkia) are very colorful and feed off the algae in your tank, are reef safe and very easy to take care of, have any of you heard anything about this particular species? What other brightly colored star fish would be good? As always, thanks for any ino/input!!!

Waterbury Guy
05/18/2003, 08:22 AM
Form what I understand, the Lynkia species can be difficult to keep (especially the blues). I have a red serpant star in my tank, very bright, only problem is you rarely see him.

fishr
05/20/2003, 05:36 PM
I've skimmed through a few books over and over about Linkias, mainly because I'm putzing around with the idea of attempting to house a blue Linkia. One thing, I keep reading is that they're prone to paracites. I'm not sure if that applies to all the species of Linkias but has definatly made me rethink about owning one.

I do know the tile and sand stars are reef-safe. I, myself am trying really hard to get ahold of a sand star just because they're very useful to have in a SW system, mainly because they stir up your sandbed.

Waterbury Guy
05/20/2003, 06:34 PM
Fishr,
You may want to read up on the sand sifting stars as well. I was looking into one, and from read I've read here, I understand they can desimate the beneficial critters in your DSB.

fishr
05/21/2003, 09:09 AM
Will read more about them. Thank you.