PDA

View Full Version : Zooanthid eating nudibranchs?

max101101
05/13/2003, 11:26 PM
I just found three of these guys crawling over my zooanthids in my all-zooanthid 10 gallon tank (over 40 varieties). Are they the zoo eating kind? they glow red under atenics... is that the zooantheli from my zoos? let me know... if they don't eat zoos I will definately keep them, but the look too cool to be good. Thanks

musicsmaker
05/14/2003, 09:59 AM
Looks like it to me. Flush them down the toilet.

Nagel
05/14/2003, 09:55 PM
I agree. I've seen these guys before and I always siphon them out.

Word of caution, DON'T be smushing it on the glass, one reefer here did and felt the effects! I can't find the thread, but it's wise to just siphon them out and not smush them with your bare hands.

bjbundy
05/15/2003, 02:30 AM
I am fighting the same nudi war as you. I did a freshwater dip on all my corals and most rock on Monday and will do another one hopefully on Sunday. I have those EXACT same ones in my tank and they are causing my zoo's to not open up.:mad2: I did the dip and they just came a tumbling off into the bottom of the bucket.:p I still have some but there are alot less of them. What I did is tip the rock of zoo's upside down and held it still for 10 seconds or so. I then swished it back and forth for around another five and then put them back in the tank and so on.... A friend of mine suggested this method and I should work. Everything is looking better other than one green mushroom but I have lots of those.....:) Good luck on your quest to defeat the enemy:strooper:
Jodi

treszoks
05/15/2003, 10:12 AM
I'm fighting the same war too. I've done quite a few freshwater dips and I've also used the tweezer method. They're becoming less and less a nuisance. I can tell there's one on my zoos if one of the frags has part of its colony closed up during the day.

Stretch
05/15/2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Nagel

Word of caution, DON'T be smushing it on the glass, one reefer here did and felt the effects!

I read that thread too, before that I WAS squishing them on the glass with no effect, but that thread made me paranoid after reading i don't do that no more. But I think the point my zoo's are at most will not recover from the nudi attack, even thought i rarely find any now

TS
05/16/2003, 11:05 AM
I’ve had really good luck with 2 drops per gallon of salifert flatworm exit. I stumbled on this as a nudi killer after wiping out the flatworms in my nano and noticing the nudis were gone as well.

I recently dosed the flatworm exit just to kill the nudis and it definitely made a huge dent in them, but didn’t wipe them out completely.

bjbundy
05/16/2003, 12:19 PM
Great, I will be sure to pick up some Flatworm Exit. I don't have too many now since the dip so mabey this will wipe them out without me having to tear up my tank. Thanks.
Jodi:)

brobak
05/18/2003, 08:30 PM
I was the turkey that squished mine against the glass. Please be careful, and if you are handling them, use gloves. I picked up several before I smashed the one and it got me, so if you are gentle they seem to be ok to handle, but I wouldnt take the chance ever again. :) Good Luck.

bjbundy
05/19/2003, 02:22 PM
Brian,
What exactly happened to you after smashing the nudibranch on the glass? I did it a couple of times in the past week before I read about you paying for it. What happened to you?
Jodi:confused:

lakerfan
05/19/2003, 05:27 PM
anyone have a pic of the Zoo eating snail... I think I found one in my tank yesterday. I took him out and put him in a cup... He was workind on a few of my zoos, found him after closer inspection of zoos that didn't open up that day.

On another side note, do you guys think zoos that haven't opened up for 3 days (I put them in the tank on friday) will have a chance of survival? this zoo eating snail might have come in on that piece.... I found a couple of zoos on this rock that were split in half and empty on the inside:mad2:

brobak
05/19/2003, 10:21 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183580&highlight=ER

Everything that happened to me is described in as much detail as I could muster in that thread.