PDA

View Full Version : Anybody keep Seahorses?

pncstod
05/13/2003, 08:33 PM
My wife and I are thinking of trying seahorses in a species tank with pipe fish. Anybody keeping them succesfully? I have heard mixed opinions about keeping them. I know they are difficult to keep, but i want to hear from a few that have been keeping seahorses long term. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks--Paul

minh_han
05/13/2003, 08:52 PM
Jason (jdmarano) keeps them. He's got two in his tank right now and plans to get more. Hopefully he'll see this post and reply. I'd love to have one if I can find an octagon or hexagon set up that's cheap. I'm just getting my 125G going, so I can't imagine spending a whole lot of money on another tank quite yet. Still, I'd love to have one!

pncstod
05/13/2003, 08:58 PM
I have a 38 gallon tank thats hanging around. I wouldnt need much to get it up and running except for live rock and a couple pumps. Thats why we were thinking of setting it up as a seahorse tank. We have been kicking the idea around for almost a year now. Maybe its time to actually do it:D

ThingsReef
05/14/2003, 11:19 AM
Annick is a good person to ask about seahorses.

jdmarano
05/14/2003, 01:52 PM
My wife and I have two Emperors (H.proscerus) in a 35g hex that we have been keeping for about a month or two now and we absolutely love them! They have terrific personalities, and we are hoping to add to our herd in the near future(the MDL order I was trying to place was for more, but work prevented me from placing the order.)

Whatever you do go with captive bread if you are a novice. There is a seperate forum, that I think I saw the same post from you on, that is dedicated to seahorse...you can find tons of great advice there.

If you have any specific queston I'd be more than happy to answer them.

What are the dimensions of your 38g? The taller the better, as it will be easier for the horses to get to the food as they are not very good swimmers. You'll also want to be careful with any pumps you put in there for the same reason.

For filtration and water movement on our tank we use liverock, a Remora Pro skimmer, and a Fluval 303.

Jason