PDA

View Full Version : RC member in the hospital

charley75
05/10/2003, 06:42 PM
Hello Everyone,
I just tried to contact a fellow RC member (melev) to bug him with more questions and was told by his room-mate that he had to have emergency surgery last night....apparently his appendix burst!
Anyway he is still in the hospital and will be out of commission for a while, but I'm sure when he gets home and logs on RC he'd appreciate some words of encouragement.
He's one of the most generous/helpful people I've met here in the DFW area....even lets rookies like myself come see his tanks and bug him with stupid questions all the time.
Thanks,
Charley

Rock Anemone
05/10/2003, 08:20 PM
Thank you so much for informing us!

I recently contacted him awhile ago about using one of his images for my website but didn't recive a response.

I hope he is ok and makes a fast recovery! I know he has helped me with a few questions in the past and I really appreciate it.

Guess will have to send him some free frags huh?

Rock Anemone

Gary Majchrzak
05/10/2003, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the tip off. I hope Mark is recovering nicely- he sure is a big help around here.

musicsmaker
05/10/2003, 08:36 PM
Charley75, do you know if his room mate knows anthing about reefkeeping? I believe Melev has been active in the trading forums due to thermos season. He may/may not have some frags comming in the mail. Just a thought.

Melev, hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we are looking forward to hearing from you.

DJ88©
05/10/2003, 09:26 PM
Hope to see him back soon..

Need him around to keep bumping my Ca reactor thread. ;)

Get well soon buddy.. :)

charley75
05/10/2003, 09:32 PM
I'm not really sure about his room-mate. I think he does have a tank though. I just don't know what it is.
Charley

Skipper
05/11/2003, 07:28 AM
Is there anyone checking on his tank while he's out?

Sorry to hear this.

wizardgus®
05/11/2003, 08:38 AM
What a bummer. And agreed, Mark is a heck of a nice guy and someone I consider a friend for sure.

charley75, could you please check with his roommate re: the tank? IIRC he has a number of Anemones in there. If he is going to be out for awhile I know there are a number of advance aquarists on the board there in DFW that could probably take a minute to stop by. If you want/prefer e-mail me with needed info if there is a problem with caring for his tank and I'll see if I can get a hold of someone.

charley75
05/11/2003, 09:51 AM
I just talked to Marc's room-mate again. He is taking care of everything, but I told him to call me if he needed any help. So if that happens I'll let you (wizardgus) know.
He said he hadn't talked to him today, but said he's kinda out it.
Apparently the Docs are keeping a close eye on him to make sure they got all the infection.
Thanks everybody..I'm sure Marc would appreciate all the support.
Charley

wizardgus®
05/11/2003, 10:02 AM
And thank you Charley for your efforts. I'll be hoping for his speedy and full recovery.

DgenR8
05/11/2003, 11:07 AM
BUMMER!!
Get well soon, Marc. Looks like you have friends willing to watch your tank while you recover.
Best wishes, we'll keep your seat warm 'till you get back!

Wolverine
05/11/2003, 03:22 PM
Get well soon Mark

Reefcherie
05/11/2003, 03:34 PM
Mark,

Here's wishing you a really speedy recovery! :bounce2: :bounce1:

Cheri

melev
05/12/2003, 06:21 AM
Hello guys,
This is marc's roommate. I thought that I would let you know what's going on with him.
Marc's appendix burst on monday but he didn't go to the doctor till friday afternoon. He thought it was just a stomach bug. They found out that he had a "mass" and decided to stick a few cameras in him. Then they found out that his appendix had burst and he had surgery at 2am saturday morning. Right now he is on a morphine drip and IV drip. They won't let him eat or drink anything until they know that the infection is gone. He still has a fever. He is just starting to sit up and they now have him walking a few steps back and forth in the room.
He is going to be out of commision for up to six weeks but rest assured his tanks will survive. He's directing me from is hospital bed on when and how to feed.
If any of you wish to contact or visit him he is at
John Peter Smith Hospital room #707
The phone # to his room is (817) 927-1578
please remember that he can't drink any fluids and therefore it's hard for him to talk. I thank you for all of your calls and well wishes. It's much appreciated.
Houseboy
John

scorcho
05/12/2003, 06:52 AM
:( Marc is the most helpful and friendly guy I have met in this hobby! I hope he gets well real soon.

DgenR8
05/12/2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the update John,
I won't put the extra strain of talking on him, sounds like what he really needs is rest. I'm glad to hear that he's progressing, and with the morphine, I don't think he misses food and water much at the moment ;)
Please tell him we're all pulling for him, and here if he needs anything.
Anything you're less than sure of with regard to tank maintenance, feel free to post, or even contact any of us through PM, or email.

Nanook
05/12/2003, 08:35 AM
Get well soon Marc!!!!!!!!

I had my appendix burst like 2 or 3 months before getting surgery when I was 27, no one, including myself believed it was serious until I was really sick....it had encapsulated itself which probably saved my life. I hope your infection goes away fast and you are among the healthy soon.

Dave

johnrags1234
05/12/2003, 09:18 AM
Get well soon. Out for 6 weeks, eh? I hope he can still be the helpful member he here on RC while he is recovering!

john

Habib
05/12/2003, 09:33 AM
Marc:

I hope you will recover very fast.

melev
05/12/2003, 09:34 AM
Hey guys,
I just talked to marc and he is feeling better but still sore.
As for his tanks he said that he would really appreciate anyone who could come over a few times while he is in the hospital and check on his tanks to make sure that nothing funky (something that I would have no clue about) is going on. So I'll leave it up to you guys to decide who will visit. The best way to make plans is to call me at (817) 689-3439.
Thanks again for everyone's well wishes and thanks in advance for any and all help.
Houseboy
John

zenya
05/12/2003, 11:07 AM
Speedy recovery, Mark!!!!!
I can't believe I missed this thread:(

Thanks so much for updates,John.

SawCJack00
05/12/2003, 11:07 AM
Marc, I hope you're feeling better and back in commission soon!

mobert
05/12/2003, 11:15 AM
Marc,

Hope you are feeling better. :fish2:

DgenR8
05/12/2003, 11:26 AM
Hi John,
Thanks for keeping us posted!
About finding a local to stop by and look at Marc's tank, I know Texas is a huge state, but there is a DFW reef club, Marc's probably a member. Their forum is here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=1&forumid=58
I'll copy this thread there, hopefully you'll get some attention from people close by.

peterlin98
05/12/2003, 05:02 PM
I just sent an e-mail to Marc today to see how he was doing. He said that he had a high fever last Monday. Thanks for the update, John.

Get well soon, Marc.
Peter

MUCHO REEF
05/12/2003, 05:17 PM
Hello Marc, I don't know you and we have never spoken here on RC, but you're a fellow reefer, so that's like family to me. You hang in there, get some rest, my prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery.

God bless

Mucho Reef

Kc189
05/13/2003, 10:32 AM
John,

Marc built my sump for me I would be more then happy to take a look at the tank. Though I am sure there are some reefers in the area that have been in the hobby a bit longer that would be more then happy to come by. If you need some help let me know.
Please let Marc know that I am thinking about him and I hope he gets better really soon!

Keith
If you need some help email me Kc1891@attbi.com

alpine
05/13/2003, 11:18 AM
I have not had the privilege of meeting mark,but as a fellow reefer I wish him a fast and speedy recovery.My thoughts and prayers will be with him.

P.S. An incident like this just goes to show how RC has become an online family for all reefers.

Jorge

wjfranke
05/13/2003, 07:11 PM
Can't believe that I didn't read this thread sooner.

Marc, Hope you have a speedy recovery. Appendix burst is very serious business, and I'm glad to hear that you made it to the hospital. Unfortunately I live so far away that I wouldn't be able to help watch the tanks, but I wish that I could.

Are you still going to replace the 55 with a larger tank?? Hope this doesn't set you back any.....

Again, very glad to hear that you're going to be alright, and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Bill

melev
06/09/2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks Bill. It has been just a little over 4 weeks since I had surgery, and I'm still a few weeks away from working again.

My mother drove here from Arizona to help me out with everything, but will be leaving soon and that will be strange. I know I'm 38 and should be fine, but it has been really nice spending time with my mom, <i>and her little dog too!</i> :D

Several of the DFW members have been very helpful, and stopped by. A few even brought me a couple of new frags, and several were happy to leave with mushrooms etc. ;)

My tanks did quite well during this period, and no, I'm not upgrading at this point. Gotta start thinking about the medical billing that will be heading my way. GULP!

It really is nice to read this thread again, now that my system is medication-free. You guys are the best!

nvillacci
06/09/2003, 06:02 PM
Mommas' Boy :D

rockyd
06/09/2003, 06:42 PM
Hey Marc,

When the medical bills arrive, make sure you thoroughly check them. Make sure that everything is correct, and make them change it if you doubt any of the charges. Trust me, they will probably overcharge you.

BTW, thanks for the help you gave me earlier this month. I did'nt know you were an invalid at the time! :D

melev
06/09/2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks Rocky, good advice! I've already followed up on all the paperwork that was provided to me by the hospital and now by the state.....

Nick, you are cruel. If you had a Swiss mom, you'd not let her go either! :D

nvillacci
06/09/2003, 09:26 PM
Um.. what does that mean, LOL

BTW My moms hispanic, I run away from her most the time, unless shes inviting me over for home cooking. Then I eat, then run away :D

Glad your well Marc

wjfranke
06/10/2003, 08:32 AM
Yah, its crazy. I was thinking "darn, I only saw him just a few weeks before that". Well, I hate to say it, and some "die-hards" may challenge me on this one, but I would choose health over a reef upgrade anyday. Its not fun being sick, and I say thank god that your mom came to help you.

As for frags and reef stuff, I don't have my tank setup yet. I have been given the ultimatum by my new wife, and we're going to try and wipe out some debt first. Not a bad idea, but I know pretty much exactly what I want, and just need to come up with a few grand to make it happen........chump change, I know..........:eek2:

Anywho, really glad to hear that all is well. I have seen many posts on DFWMAS from you lately, and pretty much assumed that you were feeling better.:)

I'll be in touch.

Bill

peterlin98
06/10/2003, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I'm glad that Marc is well...and I cannot wait for his full recovery so that he can start working on my sump. :D