PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Worms?

The Saltwater Kid
05/12/2003, 06:57 AM
I think I have some bristle worms in my tank. They came on the premium fiji live rock I just bought last week. They are white in color and about an inch long, they look sort of look like those caterpillars with the fuzzy bristles on their sides or the tentacle of a really small brittle starfish. I notice them mostly at night after I shut the tank light off. I don't want to tear my tank apart and do any freshwater dips or anything like that, I know there are a few natural predators that I can get and was wondering what you guys know about them? I know that Arrow Crabs were mentioned as the #1 predator of bristle worms but are they good for your tank in general (I don't want a crab that's gonna' eat all of my feather dusters off my live rock or be mean to my fish or other hermit crabs and snails)? I've also heard that Dottybacks, specifically Orchid Dottybacks eat bristle worms and would like to buy one but Pet Advantage won't have anymore for another two weeks. Thanks for any info!!!

koj11
05/12/2003, 07:11 AM
In my experience, they are perfectly safe with fish and other crabs, snails, etc. They will definately, however, make quick work of featherworms.

koj11
05/12/2003, 07:13 AM
Oops, man i must be tired...that response was referring to arrow crabs. Also, don't forget that bristle worms are just about the best detritus eaters out there and are very beneficial for your system.

fishfarmer
05/12/2003, 11:35 AM
Bristleworms are harmless scavengers. There are a few fire worms that I believe come from the Carribean that aren't reef safe. I think that is where the whole misconception of brisleworms being bad originated from. Don't lose sleep over it. I would be wary of touching bristleworms though. I think some people do have allergic reactions to their bristles.

I don't think you could ever get rid of bristleworms even if you wanted to. Short of drying your rock out. After a major heat wave that nuked my tank and ammonia was off the chart for a week, I luckily had bristleworms survive to clean up the mess:D .

Waterbury Guy
05/12/2003, 11:49 AM
I would agree, bristle worms are very beneficial.

fishr
05/18/2003, 12:57 AM
I think I talked to a little bit maybe a week ago about possiable bristleworms in your tank. I'm the short, yes short, person wearing glasses and black hair. Looks like some of the compodres beat me to it!

I'll just follow up in saying, I got some Marshall Isle rock, maybe two months ago from the store. And guess what I found when the lights were turned off at home!

As far as what I did? Well I took a pair of tweezers and gently pulled out the bigger worms. I did however see smaller ones deep in the rock cravices. I left them alone mostly because I love how the smaller bristleworms will stir up my sand bed.

I really wouldnt worry too much unless you turn on your hood lights and see a 7 inch bristleworm greeting you bright and early in the morning!

Jess Bruce

Duce
05/22/2003, 11:23 AM
Are arrow crabs "clam safe"?

dieselfish
05/23/2003, 09:47 AM
Don't touch it, especially if it looks like a catterpillar. check out this link www.aquarium.net/0697/0697_2.shtml

The Saltwater Kid
05/25/2003, 04:24 PM
I bought a bristleworm trap and baited it with some cocktail shrimp last night. To my amazement it worked. That big SOB was stretched out into it and feeding on the shrimp, while he was distracted I got my worm spear (long wooden dowel with razor blade attached to the end) and cut him in half. The half with the head curled up in the trap and the other half pulled back inside my live rock. I figure I got about a 1/3 to 1/2 of him, since I got the end with the head do you think the other half will die? I hope so as he was a big sucker!!!

Waterbury Guy
05/26/2003, 08:09 AM
You're hunting down and killing some beneficial detritivores. Just my $.02.

The Saltwater Kid
05/26/2003, 09:35 AM
You're hunting down and killing some beneficial detritivores. Just my $.02.

Waterbury Guy I know that bristleworms can be beneficial to your system but this particular one was just getting too big and I didn't want to take any chances. I'm not scouring my tank and killing every bristleworm I come across...just that big sucker!

fishr
05/28/2003, 08:37 AM
Ya, Justin. Who wants a 6 inch bristleworm in thier tank?

How's the Linkia, btw?
Jess