PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go to get my tank drilled?

rs2208
05/11/2003, 07:30 PM
I have a 70 gal tank I need drilled for a 1.5" bulkhead. I went to Reef Systems and after waiting a half hour they told me they didn't have a bit for a 1.5" bulkhead. So I called Saltwater City. I brought my tank and a 29 gal tank I needed drilled as well. The owner drilled the 29 and it was very sketchy. The glass is chipped pretty bad. There was no way he was going to touch my 70 gal tank. Does anyone know where I should go? Thanks

griss
05/13/2003, 08:00 AM
When I saw the title of your thread the first two places that popped into my mind were Saltwater City and Reef Systems, those are the only two places I know for sure that drill tanks.

You might want to call Clayton Pet and see if they drill tanks or know someone who does. If that doesn't help, try a local glass shop.

George

Baron
05/13/2003, 07:26 PM
I had a 55 drilled at Beldt's Aquarium & Pet Shop about a year and a half ago. You just have to call them. The turn around time could have been a lot quicker.

Good luck and post back. I'm interested who will drill a GOOD hole in glass, I'd like to get another drilled.

Thanks,
Brad

rs2208
05/14/2003, 12:15 PM
Baron,
Did they seem to know what they were doing? What size hole was it?
Thanks

Baron
05/14/2003, 08:17 PM
rs2208,

The hole is perfect in how it was drilled. It was for a 1 1/2" bulkhead. Without going back in my shop to look up the hole size required for that bulkhead I can't tell you. When I took it there I had the location marked in marker and told them I wanted a hole for a 1 1/2" bulkhead. I had to basically deal with the people on the wholesale side they knew what they were doing but they had it a week or more before I got it back.

Good luck,
Brad

jmilt
05/15/2003, 08:18 PM
I had a 20 gallon tank drilled at Salt Water City. I just showed up with the tank and they drilled it on the spot. I don't know if the turnaround time is normally that quick, but I think if the have time they will try.
Jason

rs2208
05/15/2003, 09:23 PM
I'm going to have Barron mirror and glass drill it. It's right next to my apartment. I feel better having people working on it that have been doing it for years. I also need it done quickly. Thanks for the replies.