PDA

View Full Version : Largest Banggai spawn?

Callie
03/25/2001, 12:18 AM
Anyone know what the largest Banggai spawn in captivity is?
Just curious, my male just released 52 in his 2nd batch! The 1st batch was 45.
Kathy

Clyde
03/25/2001, 12:25 AM
jeez is what I can say

most I've had is 17

gas4544
03/25/2001, 02:16 AM
Holy cow! So far, my pair has had broods of 22 and 30. There will be another release within the next week.
What was the survival rate of those two broods?

Callie
03/25/2001, 03:38 AM
Woohoo! Found 4 more, must have been hiding behind the rocks.

Sad to say, lost all of the 1st batch to SFS. They were in a 30 gal. I think the size of the tank and the filter made it hard for them to get enough bbs. I had a prefilter on the intake and I think alot of the bbs got sucked into that. I was feeding gut loaded bbs 4 times a day. I've gone to a much smaller tank with the 2nd batch and keeping enough bbs in the tank so they can eat continuously and not gorge. The 2nd batch just finished release tonight, so no mortality yet :D

Kathy

gas4544
03/25/2001, 03:52 AM
So far, ten-gallon nursery tanks have worked well for me. I didn't lose any out of the first batch of 22 until I overnight shipped them to Hawaii. Two of them didn't make it. So far, I'm 30 for 30 in the second batch that is five weeks old now.
Your female sure is producing allot of eggs!

Uhhh, how do you accurately count that many babies? Do you somehow get them to stop moving around while you count them?

Its getting late, I'll catch you later...

[Edited by gas4544 on 03-25-2001 at 03:58 AM]

Callie
03/25/2001, 02:56 PM
LOL, the little buggers never stop moving! I count them as I remove them from the big tank (Dad is in the 30 gal).

gas4544
03/25/2001, 05:08 PM
I capture the father around day 20 and move him from the 75-gallon reef to the 10-gallon nursery tank. That way I only have to catch one fish and the babies are released into a safe environment. Three times now, the father has not prematurely released babies when I netted him.

FMarini
03/25/2001, 05:14 PM
Callie:
all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! =^>
WEll I can say first off, go enter these two broods at the breeders registry site.
Second. I would say that 45 babies has been reported 2 or 3 times already, and my cardinalfish expert friend Alex (at the NJ state aquarium) has recorded multiple broods in excess of 50. I have never ever heard of 55+. So to me its a record
SO just curious,how big is you male??? and how old. Also your female? I ask this becuz many peopole report approx 20-30 fry, and i never got a clutch over 30(check out my 97 article). But i've been told that the number of fry is proportional to the ability of the male to house and carry the eggs.
Now w/ that said, i know from Alex's paper that the females lay in excess of 75eggs, and that the fry which hatch and develop are determined by the factors i mentioned above.
All I can say is WOW
frank

Callie
03/25/2001, 08:08 PM
Frank,
Not sure on the age of the fish, but the female was and still is larger than the male. I suspect he is a young adult, he has almost caught up with the female. This last batch he carried 26-27 days! I leave the male in the 30 gal for about two weeks after he releases, that gives him time to eat up and get fat before I put him back in the main tank. I feed both of them live and frozen brine (they won't touch flake) and I have tons of pods in both tanks.
I'm curious to see how large the next spawn will be.
Kathy

Rod Buehler
03/25/2001, 09:38 PM
WOW!!
We have a new "super-Male" My old man has been steadily producing for 2.5 years, but I have never seen that many. WOW!

hcs3
03/26/2001, 04:15 PM
most of mine went from 30 - 40. however, the first brood was 50 live little buggers, and a few that were still undeveloped.

more curiously, how many can the female produce? my female was dropping eggs every 2 weeks. i had 2 males with her, and both males carried eggs. in most cases, both males had eggs in their mouths at the same time.

HTH

henry

APynckel
03/27/2001, 06:53 PM
i have some cardinals and they NEVER reproduce, all they do is chase each other around the tank. is there any way i can get them to spawn? How long does it take? How do i catch the babies? Where do i put them when i've caught them?

vanguard
03/27/2001, 08:39 PM
APynckel,

I just thought I'd mention in the nicest way I know how that changing the subject in somebody else's post is considered impolite.

Having said that, I've done it. I'm far from perfect and I don't mean to pick on anybody or to become some sort of bulletin board nazi.

Just thought I'd say something nicely.

Callie
03/27/2001, 11:26 PM
Apynckel,
Here is a link to a great article by Frank Marini (FMarini on this board) http://www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/Articles/v4_i4_marini/marini.htm
There are other great articles out there but I don't have the links handy.

If you have had a pair for very long and they haven't spawned, IMO they are not a pair but are two of the same sex. If you have a pair they seem to spawn easily.

Do a search on this board for Banggai, you should pull up alot of posts about breeding them.

Kathy

APynckel
03/28/2001, 04:06 PM
ok thanx. and sorry about changing the subject