PDA

View Full Version : Fish from the auction- ID?

Evergreen
05/10/2003, 11:55 AM
Hello- nice meeting a lot of you at the meeting.
How come it says 240+ posts under this BAS forum but only like 3 threads with a total of maybe 40 posts shows when I open the forum?

I got a fish at the auction May 9 which was auctioned as a "Hawkfish" or "Hogfish". I cannot identify the fish- it is NOT a longnose hawk that i thought it was. It has the red pattern of one but not the long nose. It has Large, Black spots in the fins similiar to a juvenile coris wrasse, only the pelvic or anal fin has the spot too. He moves like a wrasse. I think it is a Cirhitid type. I can't find a picture of it ANYWHERE on the net, i have checked several taxonomy and retail sites, as well as Bob Fenner's site.

Does anyone know who donated this fish? I am really curious about it and wonder how large it is supposed to grow.
Kim

Evergreen
05/10/2003, 05:31 PM
Found it! LOL it is a Diana's Hogfish Juvenile. Says reaches 10", is agresive and Not reef-safe! Thought it was a hawkfish LOL kind of looked like one at the time. He is being a gentleman for now, so i will just have to keep an eye on him.

JohnL
05/10/2003, 06:23 PM
Oh, no... Bob even talked about hogfish in his presentation. :o

Evergreen
05/10/2003, 10:02 PM
Well .. see actually I wouldn't have bought it had i known. It looked like a longnose hawkfish, and hawkfish/hogfish sounds really close in the fast auction talk you know :( I thought thats what it was (hawk).
I had declined on several fish I love knowing they weren't compatible or that my tank wasn't ready- mandarin, little angel, tang ..
I might bring it to the Nassau Aquarium Society auction to sell it or perhaps i can trade for something at Lfs.
The Bar Gobies i got at the auction are just perfect- that was the kind of fish i was looking for, good first fish.

Picture seeing this in the bag while its up for auction, hard to think its anything but a longnose hawk http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/page.cgi?list=Wrasses&filename=SegarA7805.jpg
what do you think? gorgeous fish, nice adult too btw

the tiler
05/19/2003, 06:56 PM
Hey john how is the Led light?

Jason

JohnL
05/19/2003, 08:20 PM
It's pretty cool but I would need more of them. I think 3 of the 5 watters, one mounted under each of the halids, would work well.

ReefCorner
05/21/2003, 02:52 PM
I bought a Diana Hogfish like March Marine Auction. Every active fish. it seems peacefully. But I also found out the this fish is NOT REEF SAFE at the May Auction.

There was several Hogfish for auction. I almost bought another one.

A friend tipped me off before the finally bid.

The trouble is I would have to tear the tank down to remove it.

So, Your not alone on a bas auction purchase.

ReefCorner
05/21/2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by the tiler
Hey john how is the Led light?

Jason

I purchased the small moonlights and the monlight strip.

I am currently using the small moonlight on my 20 gallon reef. Excellent night viewing. But some corals like my button polpys and hairy mushroom stay slightly open.

It is a much better moonlite than the CSL moonlite. The CSL moon light is a size of quarter and the light in white.

Any one know how can purchase the small moonlite at that bargain auction price of $45. Mail order it is $109.

Ileana

JToddyBAS
05/21/2003, 03:18 PM
Hi Ileana,
Give me a call about the moonlight... I may be able to help you get what you want at a good price.
John

Stix
05/21/2003, 06:26 PM
I need two moonlight LEDs too. Can you help me out too?

the tiler
05/21/2003, 06:35 PM
If someone can get the moonlights I could possibly use five

Stix the meeting got changed to this weekend

Jason

JohnL
05/21/2003, 08:48 PM
I could use 3 of the 5 watt blue ones :D

ReefCorner
05/22/2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by JToddyBAS
Hi Ileana,
Give me a call about the moonlight... I may be able to help you get what you want at a good price.
John

Hi John,

I intended to give you call, but I did not get a chance. Will call this weekend.

The moonlights are great.

Ileana

Evergreen
05/24/2003, 01:58 AM
**elbows her way back to the topic** here is my little mistake http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/15942Hogcleaner.jpg
The Hog Juv cleans the Scopas I love him so far, will not be happy when he becomes unsafe for reef!

marinefish
05/24/2003, 05:12 PM
;) Hi Evergreen, You allways write" In a world of eggs I would be an Omlette". What does that mean. Bernie:o
PS, By the way I also bought the Dian's Hogfish Juvenile. I also thought it was a longnose hawk.

Evergreen
05/24/2003, 06:25 PM
It means I'm mixed up :D

I change my sig every so often, I think it's time for a new one! Are you keeping your hog in the Reef or did find him a new home?

I think the picture is broken?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/523/15942Hogcleaner.jpg

marinefish
05/24/2003, 06:33 PM
Keeping in the reef for now. Most of the time it's hiding in the rocks, Bernie:)

Evergreen
05/31/2003, 12:11 AM
Ok i keep hearing they are not "reef safe".. in what respect?
Do they eat coral? What kind? Eat snails/crabs/worms? He is being a gentleman (lady?) so far.. with the 3 bar gobies I got at same auction, and the Scopas. He hasn't sniffed a coral either. What am I in for? :confused:

And what about catching it in the trap where you cut a wide-mouth water bottle in half, turn the top spout to the inside of the bottom (like making a "valve") , you poke holes into the bottom, and throw some shrimp pellets in to get him to go inside? Maybe I should do it now before he transforms into some monster. He is so pretty and outgoing, he comes right up to the baby and looks at her curiously. The other 4 fish are spooked easily.
I am thinking of keeping it in the quarantine tank just to keep it "cycled" but he would be so lonely :(

JohnL
05/31/2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Evergreen
Ok i keep hearing they are not "reef safe".. in what respect?
Do they eat coral? What kind? Eat snails/crabs/worms?

Scott Michael says they will not eat coral but will eat snails, crabs, shrimp, etc.