PDA

View Full Version : purple zoo's are brown

Winged Ocean
05/10/2003, 12:14 AM
I recently purchased a variety of zoo's with purple rims from different sellers. These purchases went into two different tanks. One tank is a 75gl with 4 vho's, two actinic, and two daylight. The other tank is a 5gl with a retrofit pc hood with an actinic and a daylight bulb.
In both tanks, my purple rimmed zoo's are dark brown. They are placed half way up in tank and some higher up.
Will they adjust to the lighting with time and alter there color some to appear more purple, or are they brown forever from not having metal halide lighting?
Thanks

KorbinDallas
05/10/2003, 02:41 PM
Maybe they were never purple and never will be. Sounds like you got vamboozled.

Winged Ocean
05/11/2003, 01:17 AM
I don't know if I was or not. Thats why I wanted to check and see of this was a common occurence due to lighting variations or what. All I know is they are very brown in my tanks, and it looks kind of ugly. I was hoping for the purple color addition to my tanks. I won't ever order "purple" zoo's again. :rolleyes:

KorbinDallas
05/11/2003, 11:16 AM
I got some from a local trader that were greenish blue with a peach center. I have a very similar setup, and after a few weeks, they were completely brown with a peach center. The color temperature of your lights could also make a difference in the way they "appear" at least.

Chris Witort
05/15/2003, 09:56 PM
I think your lighting will make major differences in colors of zoanthids. I have seen many go from bland to spectacular in brighter tanks, as well as beautiful to boarding. Seems like a roll of the dice some times.

Phillips
05/16/2003, 11:48 AM
Could you see the colors when you bought them, or were they mail order?

I have several colors of Zoanthus sp. under 2 - 10,000K 250 watt Aqualine Buschke double-ended MH bulbs supplemented with 2 96 watt blue PC bulbs. I can only see the more subtle purple, orange and green colors during the am & pm "dawn" & "twilight" times when only the blue PC bulbs are on.

You might try switching the 2 daylight VHO bulbs for 2 of the URI VHO white/actinic 50/50 bulbs, and see if you can see the more subtle colors. You might have to wait a few months to see if the colors develop under new lights if the colors are not immediately apparent.

crumbdav
06/02/2003, 11:01 AM
I have had the same exact thing happen to me. I had a large chunk of brown zoos. But.. A chunk of it fell off to the bottom of the tank. It stayed there for bout a week.

When I looked at it again, it looked as if the brown was a deep purple.

For example, if you take a blue ricordea and put it under certain MH lighting, it will dull the colors. Maybe the same is hapening here.

Just my2 c's..