PDA

View Full Version : How to quarantine anemone ?

Jeffry
03/24/2001, 11:07 AM
Hi,How to quarantine the anemones ? and what we do during anemones in quarantine tank ? what chemical product ?

FMarini
03/25/2001, 05:31 PM
Hi:
thanks for posting....
So first off...why do you want to quarentine an invert?
I ask this becuz we tend to think of quarentine for 2 things observing the fish, (ensuring its adapting to tank life), and more importantly to observe any possible infections, and to treat these disease prior to introducing the fish into our main system.
So w/ that said...to my knowledge invert don't carry or are not hosts for many of the fish-based diseases (like ich or velvet).
Now I guess you could Q the anemone to ensure its eating, and adapting to tank life, but my concern would be that you can't keep the water quality high enuf in a little Q tank, so if your main tank is large enuf. I would ensure you acclimate sufficently, and then introduce the invert into the main tank.
I hope the others in this group will pipe in
frank

Jeffry
03/26/2001, 10:43 AM
Dear Moderator,
I quarantine anemone because I afraid the anemone cause disease ( ich / velvet ). I understood what you said the anemone can't carry disease but if I buy invert in the plastic bag and there is water inside the bag with it so I affraid when I put anemone or other invert carry disease to the main tank.

billsreef
03/26/2001, 10:16 PM
Quarantining even inverts is really not a bad idea. While the possibility of inverts carrying a fish parasite is slim it does exist. Also it is just as likely that an invert can be carrying something that can infect another invert. How many times do hear of someone adding a coral and then in short order suffering a bout of RTN or brown jelly infection in previously establish corals?

For Q'ing an invert my inclination would be to set up a small nano reef with the appropriate lighting and basic filtration with some LR and LS. As far as ensuring no fish diseases are present simply leaving the inverts in Q without the presence of any fish for 4-6 weeks would suffice. For invert problems, unfortunately invert diseases and treatments are poorly understood. Based on my experience with various inverts I would think that 2 weeks would suffice to ensure the invert is free of any invert diseases or suffering any effects of poor shipping and handling.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, please go ahead and post. This is an area that could certainly use some thought and fresh ideas ;)