PDA

View Full Version : feed or not to feed. That is the question!

stocker
05/09/2003, 08:20 AM
Hey guys,
Am looking for some input on feeding, or not feeding zoo's.
Was wondering who feeds their zoo's, and what do you feed to them.
Am also looking to hear from those of you who don't feed.
Show me some pics.
Thanks

SeanT
05/09/2003, 08:21 AM
I feed.
About once or twice a week I will give them a zap with some watered down Golden Pearls when I am feeding the rest of the tank.
Can't quantify any results scientifically but they seem bigger, brighter and spread more rapidly.

ekreef13
05/13/2003, 12:51 AM
I haven't ever fed them directly but they get enough from feeding other corals in the tank and they seem to be thriving. I don't know many people who do feed zoanthids.

Ek

crystalball
05/13/2003, 02:13 AM
I feed my zoos and polups, gradualy increasing the size of the food, they seem to wilt (turn inside out) when I over feed them, and then grow alittle bit more each week, right now they are the size of 1/2 dollars...some refuse to eat...ohh well

stereomandan
05/13/2003, 10:39 AM
I don't feed my zoos directly and they are growing well. They might get leftovers from the fish feedings, or from the phyto I dose, but I haven't seen them close up over any food. They just grow....

Dan

Kara
05/13/2003, 12:02 PM
I feed my zoos. I also make my own reef food (for fish, inverts and corals) I'll thaw a chunk of food in tank water then suck it up in a turkey baster and target feed them. I think they look larger and their color is better than when I left them to fend for themselves. I certainly don't think it's necessary but I love my fat & happy tank inhabitants! :D

Phillips
05/16/2003, 12:07 PM
My Protopalythoa like to be fed if the food I put in for the fish doesn't get to them. Usually it isn't a problem.

I never see my Palythoa or Zoanthus colonies eating, but I noticed that they've been growing a lot more since I increased the feedings. I had reduced the feeding recently after a slight tank crash over Christmas vacation (some sps died), but after about 2-3 weeks of feeding 2-3 times a day, they're starting to spread like wildfire. I'm even starting to hope that my Zoanthus colonies will outcompete the grape Caulerpa for space!