PDA

View Full Version : where to get Berghia?

Sewer Urchin
05/08/2003, 10:41 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm new here, but not new to the hobby. I was curious if anybody knows of a LFS that carries the Berghia nudibranch, here in St. Louis. I usually go to Clayton Pet Emporium, but they didn't even know what I was talking about. Also has anybody had any luck with them erradicating Aiptasia?
Thanks.

-Sewer Urchin

Nanook
05/09/2003, 08:58 AM
[welcome]

They are hard to come by, let alone find at a LFS. You could post a request for Berghia's on the livestock trading forum here on Reef Central. I've had them before, but they usually don't last long in a high flow tank. In a refugium setting or low flow tank, they can work wonders on aiptasia. I would recommend Peppermint shrimp for aiptasia eradication, or, if you have a 120g tank or greater, maybe a Copperband Butterflyfish.

Nanook

griss
05/09/2003, 10:03 AM
I agree with Nanook. If you are dead set on Berghias for Aiptasia contral, you might try www.inlandaquatics.com as I believe they occasionally have them available.

George

Sewer Urchin
05/09/2003, 12:35 PM
I have a 180 gal tank with an ecosytem sump. I was thinking about putting them in the sump. I was thinking of the peppermint shrimp but I heard they eat feather dusters. I really like my colonies. As far as the copperband I am also nervous about it eating corals. I have read that its hit and miss. Are copperbands easy to catch if you have to get them back out of the tank? I had to dip my tangs and it was a nightmare getting them out.

-Sewer Urchin

griss
05/12/2003, 08:30 AM
Sewer,

IME Copperbands have never touched corals in my tanks. However, some have observed them nipping corals and Tridacna clams.

Catching a CBB out of a fully stocked reef tank, LOL, good luck. They are surprisingly fast fish and would be difficult.

Honestly, I think your best bet might be the Peppermint shrimps.

George