PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthid Q

DMK
05/08/2003, 06:31 PM
i have a pretty nice zoanthid colony growing on a piece of live rock i bought. i had 115 lb delivered( mix of uncured MI,branch fiji and kopang). on a piece of kopang there was what looked like purple jelly. i put it in the tank facing up in good flow about halfway up tank in good light. turns out it was a zoanthid, purple and then opens yellow/brown. my questions are: is it normal for only about 1/3 of colony to open? other polyps look good when not open. also today a small plastic looking piece fell off corner. underneath looked like baby Zoos.entire colony is about 4-5" long by 3" wide. i'm trying to keep my Alk(11.6) and Ca up w/ B Ionic and turbo Ca. want to get Ca up to 400-420. do i need to add anything for the Zo? my Mg is alittle low(900). iwant to keep this thing alive. tank is only 3 weeks old and cycled since about 4/24. u can see my lighting under my posts in tank description.

DMK
05/08/2003, 07:34 PM
any Zo pros out there...:rollface:

Nagel
05/08/2003, 09:05 PM
Relax man, its not an acropora or something like that. Zoos and polyps are pretty tough, withstanding shipping on moist rock and far worse abuse.

I would say give it some lighting, current and it will do ok. The piece that fell off could be a portion of the colony, just place it or glue it somewhere and it will start a colony there as well.

HTH