PDA

View Full Version : Xenia fragging suggestions

giantxtc
05/06/2003, 07:53 PM
I have some red sea or pom-pom Xenia that is growing like weeds.My lfs store would like some because there are alot of people asking for some.Mine is kept on a large "island" rock,and the other night it made a leap onto another rock.I have no idea how it reached it because it was supposedly out of reach.Anyway,I picked up some small live rock rubble pieces and have them placed adjacent to the colony to get them to hop onto it.What does everybody else do to frag thiers?Thanks!

Python73
05/07/2003, 12:38 AM
The way you are using is the best way if you don't mind waiting. The xenia will attach itself to the rubble you placed, then use a razor blade to cut away any stems that are attached to both the base rock and the rubble piece.

Another way is to cut some stalks off with a razor, then attach them to rocks. I don't use this method anymore, since xenia is a slimy mess and is hard to mount. You can jam it into a crevice of a rock, and it will attach as it grows out of the crevice.

HTH.

S !

wanareef
05/07/2003, 06:14 AM
What i do is peal them off of the rock and then "sew" them on to another rock. Using a needle and some fishing line, 1-2 lbs test just put it through near the base and tie it off on the rock. That spot that I pealed it off of will grow another Xenia in a week or so. No slime, no mess.

hth :D

giantxtc
05/07/2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks!I'll try the waiting method for now.But,if the demand is there I'll start other ways.It's funny how so many people seem to have thier Xenia grow like mine but there are so many others looking for it.

Newreeflady
05/08/2003, 10:17 PM
If you have a low flow area, pile rubble there,get a pair of clean scissors, and start chopping and laying them on the rubble. . Soon you'll have more xenia that you can count!

Angela.

chr_edw
05/10/2003, 08:10 AM
If you haven't already look at http://www.garf.org , they have alot of info and methods of fragging xenia. I personally like the tag method they teach.

Everyone had good ideas also.

Hope this helps.

Interested88
05/10/2003, 12:46 PM
I've done it 2 ways.

1. put a rock right next to the Xenia that you want to move over. When it attaches to the new rock, snip the bottom in between where it is still attached to the old rock. This will give you Xenia in both locations as the old piece DOES grow also.

2. As per Garf, snip the head off and cut into 2 or 3 pieces and attach to rock with large holed bridals veil. Remove bridals veil in a few days when it attaches to the rock. Any leftover polyps (that might get cutoff inadvertantly) I slide into a piece of scrap Bridals veil and hang from the side of the tank. This will also grow and propogate naturally, so all I have to do is cut a small section of bridals veil with the Xenia off and Super glue small pieces to rock. It will eventually grow over and Bingo, new Xenia rock without all the hassle!

Rock Anemone
05/10/2003, 03:22 PM
Interested88,
[welcome]

I agree with the above, I just place rubber rock around mine. Also, if you are going to cut it or peel it off, that will work too. However, make sure nto to squeeze the Xenia.

Rock Anemone:D

Don Davis
05/10/2003, 03:29 PM
I use the rubble method also. I just place rubble in the middle of the xenia patch and it crawls to the top of the rubble within a few days. I used to worry about smashing the xenia with the rubble, but have realized it will crawl out from under the rubble and work it way to the top very quickly.

If you want to increase the number of stalks you have, lay a stalk over without cutting the base, and tie it down with fishing line. You'll get several new stalks sprouting up within a week or so.

Don

Interested88
05/10/2003, 07:25 PM
Thanks Rock Anemone! I've been lurking for quite some time and everyone here has helped out more than you could possibly know already. RC was one of the main contributors into me splurging last year and breaking into the hobby. I've been doing FW for MANY years and decided to make the switch when I moved into my house. Now I can give my tank a permenant home. Stay tuned, this hobby is VERY addicting. Ya never know what I may do next! LOL

Rock Anemone
05/10/2003, 08:04 PM
No problem!:D

Glad to see you're taking the reef route with your new home. Can't wait to see more picture of it being set-up. RC has helped me so much in this hobby it's amazing, without RC I wouldn't be here posting, I'd probably be trying to fix a broken Rio pump...:lol:

Yep, this hobby is VERY addicting and it's true, every day cna lead to something new.

Rock Anemone:D