PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Wallingford

jsfakianos
05/04/2003, 05:55 PM
I checked the thread of local fish stores, but wondered if you guys could provide some more specific info?

I am moving from Birmingham, AL to Wallingford, CT in late June. I would like to have DI water waiting for me when I arrive. Does anyone know of a store in or very close to Wallingford that they trust to provide quality DI water? I thought that I may call ahead and ask them to have 60 gallons ready.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

minh_han
05/04/2003, 07:31 PM
Hmmm...I don't know of any LFS stores that specifically sell DI water. Your best bet might be to find the nearest Walmart. It's not the most cost efficient method, but it might be the quickest. It's not much to go on, but I thought I would at least reply. By the way, welcome to CT!

pncstod
05/04/2003, 08:04 PM
The only store i know of that sells ro/di water is the Living Reef in Westport. If you cant find water i could give you some just bring buckets! I live in North Branford 2 towns (15 minutes) from Wallingford.

jdmarano
05/05/2003, 08:19 AM
Aqua Dreams up in MA sells ro/di water, they are probably about 45-55min or so from Wallingford.

Bruce
05/05/2003, 09:01 AM
Jeff,

I made the move from Mississippi to New Haven a few years ago, and it was pretty tough adjusting. To make the transition easier, just substitute the word pizza for bar-b-que and you'll be fine. Also college basketball = college football.

Ditto on what the other guys said on the water. Sounds like the Living Reef is your best option.

Bruce

jsfakianos
05/05/2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the options! I'll try to call Aqua Dream and Living Reef. I am surprised that the posts were not more along the lines of "every store sells it, but I don't trust this one or that one." All stores sell it in Birmingham, and the best store gives it away.

Bruce, I was looking forward to watching Auburn play this year, but I guess I'll have to forget the SEC and get used to the partiot league? Did a school bring you to the New Haven?

Bruce
05/05/2003, 11:02 AM
Jeff,

There is lots of SEC football to be seen in CT. CBS has the national contract and ESPN picks up a lot of games. Not to mention that all the games are broadcast on the internet. Looking forward to having someone to watch the games with.

Bruce

bdr127
05/05/2003, 11:02 AM
Jeff - Yeah, get used to the terrible TV programming for college football. As a Penn State alum, the very least I ask for is the PSU games..... But New England TV sometimes would rather show Northeastern vs. Rhode Island than show a good Division I top 25 matchup. I'm thinking about getting DirecTV for the sole reason of getting good college football! ;)

As for water, I'd be happy to give you some. I'm about 35-40 minutes away from Wallingford, but if you bring your own containers, I'd be happy to help you out. :)

--Brad

wetone
05/05/2003, 11:17 AM
Jeff

Paragon is about 30 mins from Wallingford. I don't know if they sell RO water, but Mike is pretty copol and might be able to work something out. If not I live in Wallingford and always have a 20G container full of RO/DI and I could give you some if you have buckets. I live in Cheshire, only 10-15 mins from Wallingford, depending on which side of town your on.

Sounds like Bruce has found his way to Wooster St and Pepes pizza..........

wetone
05/05/2003, 11:19 AM
Jeff

It looks like I cant type and eat lunch at the same time, I live in Cheshire (you live in Wallingford), I know my message may have been confusing....And Mike at Paragon is cool, NOT copol, he might be copol but I really don't know what that means...LOL

Tony

jsfakianos
05/05/2003, 12:38 PM
I was wondering what Mike was like if he is described as copol. :lol: We don't have alot of copol people down here (yet).

I think that I might also try to get in touch with Mike at Paragon. Is his store in Cheshire?

No Penn St. viewing? Something must be wrong. I have heard good things about direct tv, I just don't like the satelites that get mounted all over houses.

Mickey
05/05/2003, 08:35 PM
Paragon Aquatics is in Haddam which is about 30 minutes or so from Wallingford depending upon where in town you will be.

We are having the next meeting of our club on May 31st at my house in Cheshire (next town over from Wallingford) if you are going to be around you should try to come. You can meet new neighbors!

Mickey

jsfakianos
05/06/2003, 06:45 AM
I did see the meeting date and told my wife that we should move up a month early. She just rolled her eyes, so I think that I may be able to talk her into it (eye rolls are a definate maybe).

But honestly, I saw the date and regreted that I could not make the gathering. I look forward to meeting everyone. We are scheduled to close on our new home June 20th. I expect to move in directly after closing.

Jeff

eifert
05/07/2003, 08:39 PM
Pet Paradise in Milford sells water. Call ahead and see if they have some made up... It's about 30 minutes from you....

toberdick
05/08/2003, 09:47 PM
Jeff,

Where in Wallingford are you moving to? I grew up there and my parents still live there. I live in Stamford now, but I'm up that way pretty often. I could probably help you out with the RO/DI water as long as its on a weekend (and I have enough old IO buckets). It's processed through a Spectrapure 4 stage RO/DI unit -- just put in all new cartridges. Let me know.

-Todd

ez1ez
05/09/2003, 07:11 PM
Hello and welcome to the state. Marine Imports on rt.110 in Shelton sells RO/DI water at .50 a gallon. He has 100g at all times. Good luck

jsfakianos
05/10/2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all of the information. It now seems that I will be able to get my tank set up quickly to avoid excessive losses.

My only decision that is not made is whether I want to try to transport my corals with my furniture, or have a friend mail them to me after I set up the live rock.

Thank you again, I look forward to getting settled in CT.

Jeff