PDA

View Full Version : Any idea why ricordea isn't fully expanding as it was before?

larsson
05/02/2003, 10:09 PM
It's a 2 gallon nano. Have had the coral for about a week. It did beautifully until two nights ago. Then, it stopped expanding. I noticed the shrimp was either trying to clean it or eating it or something. Now, it will not fully expand like it should. I fed it some shrimp a few days ago and it ate that. Someone suggested it may have a piece of shrimp caught in there so I put it in front of the powerhead for a few seconds. In addition, I performed a water change. Tank parameters are as follows: PH 8, KH 11, Nitrites 0, Ammonia <0.3 mg/l

Temp is 80. Lighting is 18W PC. Other tank mates include a feather duster, which is doing fine, a peppermint shrimp, and a margarita snail. I feed the feather duster two to three times a week with phytoplankton. Any idea on what could be wrong with the ricordea or what I can do? Also, the ricordea has already attached itself to the rock and seems to have wedged itself into a tight space.

asmujica
05/04/2003, 03:13 AM
Higher nitrates, low calcium and alk levels, the shrimp or its just digesting(which is most likely, and the shrimp is smelling of its breath :lol: and wants a piece of the action)

isseym328
05/04/2003, 03:29 AM
You can try lowering the temp a bit. I have mine set at 78 and they expand pretty well. Another thing is ricordias do shrink up every once in a while to expel waste/water and take in fresh water. I don't know if my ricordias shrink for two days but it might be possible. Do you have a ricordia yuma or florida? Try putting it closer to the light. Take a pic of the shrunken ricordia. There are people, including myself, that can tell you if it is dying or not.

MUCHO REEF
05/04/2003, 06:45 AM
I would really lower that temp. to 78. Are you adding Iodine ? They absolutely love it. I have been keeping and propping Ricos for many years now. I have always kept my calcium at 450. The expansion is unbeliveable. Good luck.

larsson
05/04/2003, 05:56 PM
I can't move it closer to the light because it's already attached itself to the rock. :(

Here's a pic of it as it was about two days ago. It seems to have started expanding a little more, but nothing like what it was the first few days after I bought it.

Will try lowering the temp also.

Edit: Also, not adding iodine as my peppermint shrimp has molted 3 times within the last 3 weeks and I'm afraid it might be a bit much for him.

pbanda
05/04/2003, 06:07 PM
I had my ricordia in one spot in my tank for about 3 months and it looked the same as yours. I moved it last month lower in the tank and with less water movement and it is doing very well - just split. I have another one that I should try and move too. I don't know exactly what it is, but some things just do better in a different spot. I have also seen this with my SPS.

hth,
pbanda

larsson
05/04/2003, 06:10 PM
Any idea how to move it since it has attached itself?

isseym328
05/04/2003, 07:20 PM
I probably wouldn't try to move it..unless ur really good with a hammer and chisel :D

Or you can glue some rocks around it or put some macroalge so that the water current decreases.

Newflee
05/04/2003, 07:33 PM
Your photo looks like a ricordia that's temporarily not enjoying itself. Unless you can place the rock in another position to get a different reaction I wouldn't worry about it. More flow might help, but maybe not. Test for Iodine and if your bellow .1 you could afford to add a little and see if it get's a better response. I regularly add even when testing at .15, so don't let anyone tell you not to exceed .06. You could hit my Ricordia with a hammer and they would laugh, so don't worry. Unless you start seeing brown jelly type tissue, all will be well with time.

larsson
05/04/2003, 11:29 PM
I added fresh RO/DI water today and he has expanded almost as much as before. The previous RO/DI water I was using had been being stored for about 3 weeks so I think they may have been what was wrong. How long is RO/DI good for when stored?