PDA

View Full Version : Shedd tour & IMACC, who went?

markmac71
05/02/2003, 12:52 PM
Did any of you go on the behind-the-scenes tour of the Shedd? How was it? I'm going to IMACC on Sat, any advice?

derrikd
05/02/2003, 01:08 PM
I when to the shedd yesterday... the new reef one is great.. Lots of corals...and fish. Highly recommended!!

mhurley
05/03/2003, 09:38 AM
I dropped by IMAC yesterday and spoke to a couple people from this board that went to the Shedd. They said they were unimpressed with shark exhibit. It's still got a lot of work left to be done on it according to the Shedd staff. Apparantly they were suppose to have 3 huge coral tanks up but what they actually have are three 30 gallon tanks with zoos and mushrooms in them. Here's the best quote:
"Have you seen the carribbean exhibit upstairs? The shark reef looks identical to it. If you like yellow tangs and other common fish, it'll be a hit for you".

Again, this is all second hand but it's not surprising to me. Since getting into this hobby, I've found that I have higher standards for what I'd like to see. I'm sure to the people that visit there that have no idea what they are looking at, the exhibits are amazing.

Mike

makoshark
05/06/2003, 03:26 PM
Originally, I wanted to go to IMAC but from someone who lives local to the conference. I could not justify the cost. If I were to have gone I would have gone Friday because IMO that was when all the speakers that I wanted to hear would have been speaking. Aside from that If there were a small fee just to meet with the vendors, I would have gone to compare equipment and hopefully come away with some nice frags. Alas that was not an option. Maybe next time.

markmac71
05/07/2003, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, I went to the IMAC on sat. and was very dissapointed!!
I sat for about 20 minutes on two speakers and they were both so scientific i was lost as soon as they started talking. As for the vendors, there were about 15 and it was very lame. I spent $75 on a ticket and was there for about a hour and a half! Didn't see anyone buying or selling frags and none of the big companys were there.

jbash
05/07/2003, 10:46 AM
"none of the big companys were there"

Out of curiosity, who are the big companies? Marineland, SeaChem, Kent Marine, Marc Weiss, PFO, there were lots of what I'd call big companies.

I have no vested interest:-) but I was pretty happy with the vendors that were there. But then Harbor and Dirk are two of my favorites and I'd been hoping to get a chance to talk to Sunlight Supply and Reed Mariculture...

jim b

ReefHobbyist
05/07/2003, 12:54 PM
I went all three days. I thought it was a lot of fun. The vendors were ok, not enough frag vendors though :) I bought 4 frags from the one vendor and then got a free one at the end because it "wasn't looking very good". I salvaged the live pieces and put them in my tank, so far they are doing ok. Harbor was thowing corals in the trash at the end. I broke off 5 tips from a purple acro and mounted them. I think 3 of the 5 are going to make it.

Walked away with 5 free bottles of DT's. Bought all the light equipement I need to ugrade to 400W except the ballasts (reflectors, sockets, 10K ushios and 4ft VHO actinic) from Dirk for lower than mail order prices, no shipping, no tax.

And I won a 75gal tank which I am concidering using for a frag tang.

Oh, and the speakers too :) I really enjoyed the Martin, Ron, and Eric's presentations on Friday. Saturday and Sunday's were good too but Friday was the highlight.

Over all, I'd say it was well worth it.

Scott

degall
05/09/2003, 09:08 AM
Hay makoshark, if IMAC was too expensive for you, you should have responded to the emails I sent out and the announcements I made at the meetings that any CMAS members who would work at the conference, could get in free.

And there was no charge to just visit the exhibits.

Cheers,

Dennis:rollface:

makoshark
05/09/2003, 09:31 AM
Hi Dennis,

Due to a busy family schedule I could not commit to a full day at IMAC or I would have voulunteered. Had I know that there was no charge to visit the exhibits and vendors I would have made time to do so.

I don't know if you plan to have the next IMAC in Chicago again but if so you might do well to promote free entrance to the vendors and exhibits. It might make the deal sweeter for the vendors who are not only looking to promote thier business but make a few extra sales as well.

Since I've never been to a MACNA conference I can only draw paralells to woodworking and computer shows that charge a small $5 entrance fee and vendors from all over the country set up booths to sell thier wares. I'd love to see something like that for aquarists.

Just my $0.02

Jeff

degall
05/09/2003, 10:37 AM
Hi Jeff;

Allowing people to see the vendors free was something we just tried this year. In the past it was not allowed; surprisingly, it was the vendors who objected to allowing the public in. I really don't know why.

But, requiring people to pay a small fee just to see the exhibits involves some problems. We have to make up badges for them and then have someone at the door at all times to check them. It's hard enough to get people to work the conference when they can see the presentations, but to expect them to sit at the door of the exhibit room and miss the speakers, is about impossible.

Would you volunteer to do it?

Peace,

Dennis:fun5:

makoshark
05/09/2003, 11:15 AM
Hi Dennis,

Again not having been to a major conference, expecially IMAC, I don't know the logistics of the layout but generally if you want to charge the public it's having someone taking cash and stamping hands at the entrance to the area. You'll end up with someone at the door to do this throught the time you open the conference up to the public. Perhaps only one day should be open to the public like other large shows who only open the last day to the conference. I can't say that I'll be available one year for now but you could put me down as tentative doorman. (as long as I get first dibs on all the best corals & products before the show opens. :D )

degall
05/09/2003, 11:43 AM
Sounds good to me, Jeff.

Cheers,

Dennis :bum:

kaiyokanman28
05/13/2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by mhurley

Again, this is all second hand but it's not surprising to me. Since getting into this hobby, I've found that I have higher standards for what I'd like to see. I'm sure to the people that visit there that have no idea what they are looking at, the exhibits are amazing.

Mike

YES! YES! YES! I know EXACTLY what you mean...

I was all excited to go see the Wild Reef exhibit, thinking I was going to see all sorts of exotic corals and the like, and basically just saw FO type of tanks with fake corals in them. My own standards of things I want and like to see in public aquariums has gone up ever since getting into this hobby.

The exhibit wasn't BAD...and it was a hit for my 2-year old who LOVED the shark tank...but for me...well...it was nice...nothing spectacular...But then...After going to the Ring Of Fire Aquarium in Osaka, Japan (see their website at http://www.kaiyukan.com/eng/), and the fact that they have the capability of keeping WHALE SHARKS healthily in captivity...Shedd doesn't really offer all that much in comparison...

Don't get me wrong...I love Shedd, and am a member...but it just doesn't hold a candle to what I've seen elsewhere. :)

But yes, DEFINITELY support the statement that the standards have gone up since entering the hobby.

Though I REALLY wanted to see the Peacock Mantis Shrimp they had on display...it was hiding...couldn't see it, but definitely could hear it...:D

Cheers!

Andy :wildone: