PDA

View Full Version : need lighting advice for ricordia

goldfin
05/02/2003, 12:02 AM
I just got some blue ricordia. I have a 400W radium bulb in the center of a 180g tank with two 250W 6700k halides on either side. I also have vho actinic supplemental lighting. The halides are about 23 inches from the sandbed. I've read that ricordias are best under 250W halides, but the color of these blue ricordia look best under the 400W radium bulb because it is bluer. So I would like to leave them under that bulb if it won't harm them. Is it likely to harm them, and how will I know if it is?

TIGER SHARK
05/02/2003, 01:35 PM
I think they would do fine under the radiums but depending on what type of lighting they have been under, you should probably acclimate them to the new lighting. Start out low, on the sandbed and see how they do. If they are not showing signs of stress after a few days, slowly move them up closer to the light to where you want them. Got any pics for us to see?

goldfin
05/02/2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks. No pics yet.

Palmetto
05/06/2003, 08:12 AM
I have found that they do not open fully if they are getting too much direct 400 watt intensity, or at least not as large as they do under 250s. They do fine at the base of your LR, in partial shade, or on the bottom under 400s in deeper tanks. I like them at the base of the LR and on the bottom anyway, because they also open much larger under less current.

I find it curious that you think the 400 watt Radium is bluer than the 250s. I have found the opposite to be true for me. What ballast are you running the 400 on?

Darren Walker
www.PalmettoReefs.com

goldfin
05/06/2003, 09:50 AM
The 250's are not radiums. They are 6700k's. Only the 400 is a radium bulb.

Palmetto
05/06/2003, 11:00 AM
AHA! I misunderstood. I thought you were comparing Radium to Radium, and the 250 Radium is bluer than the 400 Radiums, so I was Confucious! I should read more carefully...

The light should not harm them, they just might not open up as much. Often, they will acclimate in time and may open up just fine once they are used to it. They will tolerate MUCH more light than any of the other mushrooms I have worked with. You might like to start them in partial shade and slowly work them out into the open as they adjust. I have found that Rics color up VERY nicely under Radiums- the colors get rich and they fatten up nicely. I would leave them on the bottom instead of in the rock, though- esp. if the 400w is only 23" from the sandbed.

HTH!

Darren Walker
www.Ricordea.com

goldfin
05/06/2003, 05:18 PM
OK. Thanks.