PDA

View Full Version : Red Button Polyps

dcowling
05/01/2003, 07:57 PM
I have a fairly good sized colony of what the LFS called Red Button polyps. They resemble Zoanthids(and may be some form), but are larger and do not cluster as tightly. I noticed they propagated in much the same way...off the base, but I also noticed something else....

One day, when I was sitting there zombified infront of my tank, I saw a small, disc-shaped object in the water. It was the same base color as the polyps, and was shaped alot like a red blood cell. I didn't think too much about it until a few days later when I found a brand new, teeny tiny polyp on a small piece of liverock on the other side of the tank.

Was this small object I saw some other method of procreation that is utilized? I've seen them again, and just today caught one and placed it in a lowflow area in a crack of a rock to see if it will become a polyp.

Anyone w/ experience on this?

RicksReefs
05/01/2003, 09:07 PM
i've never seen'em floating around, but
i have protopalythoa buttons popping up
in assorted areas of my reef, so they do
reproduce somehow.

mnreefman
05/02/2003, 08:25 PM
i have heard of this way of reproducing, much like mushrooms can, cut off the head and attach it to a rock a new head will appear and the old head will grow a stalk