PDA

View Full Version : Ichy dude (John) got a ? 4 ya

scubadude
05/01/2003, 03:55 PM
I got my 2 Euro Reefs hewked up that I got from you ES5-2's and they are working great, the only thing that I have a question about is there are 2 pieces of foam one goes on the extension riser and the other Im assuming is part of the intake of the pump? If I am correct then I notice a drastic decrease in power of skimming when I put that long foam on the intake....so what I did (dont know if its right) is I cut a smaller piece of foam and its ok but it still restricts somewhat but I think it will skimm fine and at the same time protect my pump from nasties entering in there and fouling up my needlewheel....so is this the correct way to screen the pump? The directions didnt seem to hit on this well enough IMO.

Thanx Bro, I love the skimmers!

ichthyman
05/02/2003, 09:00 AM
Rocky,

The foam goes over the discharge tube. Sounds like you got a extra piece. A freebie from Euro-Reef, you must be special! Nothing should be put in front of the intake of the pump. Protecting the pump is nice but it will eventually restrict the pump's ability to pull water as the foam clogs. This will cause increased wear on the impeller and motor. Personally, I would not leave the foam on the pump. What I would do is to use a filter sock to keep the "nasties" out of the sump in the first place. Glad your happy with them, have fun.

John

gregt
05/02/2003, 09:08 AM
Yeah, actually, I wish I had the extra piece of foam. My water level is so high that when I tune it right the foam sometimes falls down to the bottom of the riser tube and the bubbles "get out".

ichthyman
05/02/2003, 09:25 AM
Greg,

I know the problem well. If your handy you can build a foam "shelf" out of pvc and glue it on to the riser tube for the foam to rest on. Did this for a couble of customers and it works very well. Or you just buy another piece of foam and double stack them on the riser.

John

rjung1
05/02/2003, 03:18 PM
I think we could use a permanent "Ask Ichthyman"
thread going here at the TB Reef Club's site!

John, I am finally moving again on setting up the 120 I got from you (don't ask!), anyway last time I was at your shop I was looking at those prefabbed acrylic sumps with the holes for the filter socks. I think the biggest ones you had were about 40 gallons. Two questions: Do you still have those and do they come in any larger sizes?
Thanks Robin. (who threatens to come in again some day):cool:

scubadude
05/02/2003, 04:04 PM
How did you come about the name Ichthyman? And call me niave but what the heck is an Ichthy anyway? :confused: :rollface:

gregt
05/02/2003, 04:28 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ichthyology

scubadude
05/02/2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by gregt
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ichthyology

Ok I never knew there was an ichthy much less ichthyology

after looking more into the dictionary
:reading:

I found

ichthyo- or ichthy-
pref.
Fish: ichthyophagous.

lol....thanx greg :)

ichthyman
05/03/2003, 08:04 AM
Robin,

As of today, I have one of each size of sump in stock. Inventory will be low on the sumps for the next two weeks as my acrylic guy moves into larger facilities. If you need something different than the standards just let me know.

Ask ichthyman? What have you been smoking and do you have any more of it.:smokin: Thanks for the compliment.

Rocky,

FISH and other ICHTHY stuff is a name I thought up in college while studying/cramming for Marine Biology and Oceanography finals. It was a dangerous night of higher education, Mountain Dew and No-Doze. A friend branded me ichthyman after opening the store. Another friend/customer gave me the title of Fish Nazi, after witnessing one of my tirades on someone who was showing no respect for the life of an animal that he was attempting to purchase.