PDA

View Full Version : I've got eggs!!!

Wheel
03/20/2001, 11:22 AM
I can hardly believe it! My prize pair of Tomato Clowns have finally laid a small clutch of about 200 eggs on Saturday. I have been waiting a long time for them to get it together and was almost ready to give up on them. Around 3:00 in the afternoon I was working in my garage where I keep them and I noticed that they were swimming differently. I took a closer look and saw bright orange dots on a ceramic flower pot that I placed in the tank several months ago. The female was swimming back and forth close to the pot wiping her belly on the pot with each pass, then the male followed her closely with his "organ/penis?" hanging out of his abdomen and carefully fertilizing the eggs after each row was laid. I went to get my wife and kids so they could see it too. It was the coolest thing.

FMarini
03/20/2001, 03:30 PM
Congrats.......
So now whats next??? pictures please
here is alink to a saltwater site which has online references to raising clowns (middle to bottom of the page)

http://saltaquarium.about.com/pets/saltaquarium/cs/rotiferlivefbreedi/index.htm?iam=dpile&terms=%2Bfrank+%2Bmarini

I highly recommend joyce wilkersons book on clownfish. This has step by step details on raising these guys(like growing your own rotifer cultures-which is next).
Daphane faustins/gerald allens aneomone fish book is available online...but it doesn't coer in detail what you would need to know next...but it is a good read

good luck
frank