Muttling
05/01/2003, 09:53 AM
I'm interested.

Anthony Burgess
maskedmuttling@hotmail.com

Sir Knight
05/01/2003, 08:07 PM
Hi Anthony,
welcome. As soon as we get at least 5 people, I'll try to setup our first meeting. I will be sending out emails at that time

semba
05/01/2003, 11:33 PM
Joe,

I would be interested; although I do have many time constraints through the remainder of the year. Can you put me down as a half? :)

Sam

Sir Knight
05/02/2003, 09:15 AM
Hi Sam,
Welcome, I know what your talking about as far as time. I was a Sr. Project Manager for IBM, 70 to 90 hour weeks.

What is your Email Address?

Joe W.

Noon
05/02/2003, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, we just now started getting something together for folks in the Tennessee area. Have a few folks from that direction. You all are more than welcome just to jump on with us, that way we have a larger base of folks and can have more options. Thats up to you all. If you plan on having swaps etc thats great, and maybe some folks from other places can meet up too, and likewise anywhere else. We havent set a date for a first get together just yet but a few have mentioned doing it at Captive Bred Corals in Chattanooga, so we'll see.

Chad

Sir Knight
05/02/2003, 01:03 PM
Hi Chad,
The reason for the Knoxville/Maryville idea is so people with time restraints could make it to local meetings, frag swaps, be involved in the club, etc. however, they would not be able to make the 3 hour drive to Nashville or the 2 hour drive to Chattanooga, except maybe a state-wide event.
We will also try to get support from local stores and share our knowledge with them
So let's see what happens and see if Mike and myself can draw up enough local interest

Thanks

Joe W.

EvilMel
05/02/2003, 01:07 PM
I'm in Knoxville myself and would be interested in participating in some local stuff as well as the state-wide stuff.

Sir Knight
05/02/2003, 01:42 PM
Hi Mel,
Welcome.
Please post your email address so I can send you info when we get started.

All,
Another idea I have for the local club is to have a Website.
My wife Marie and myself put together a website for the ORCA reef club and we won 2nd place at MACNA last year. Here is a link so you can get an idea of what I'm proposing

www.o-r-c-a.com/index.html

Joe W.

TNDave
05/02/2003, 02:11 PM
I'm interested as well, but also have serious time constraints (namely due to various activities of 3 kids). My brother in law and another friend of mine would be very interested as well.

Dave

Sir Knight
05/02/2003, 02:19 PM
Hi Dave,
Welcome
Please post your email address so when I send out the meeting date and time.

If all of you don't want to post your email addresses in this forum
please send me an email at joewall@charter.net

Thanks
Joe W.

esmithiii
05/03/2003, 10:00 AM
Guys-

Not to rain on any parades here, but I attempted to start a club a year ago here in Knoxville. I put up flyers, hosted a meeting at my house, gave out door prizes (everyone who came to the first meeting got a frag out of my tank, some people got two), put posters in the local fish stores in town, called people, sent e-mails, spent a ton of time preparing for the meetings (I made a club poster, survey, prepared a presentation on lighting options/techniques) and very few people showed up (at the second meeting I think we had 5 people if you count me and my wife.)

In the last 8 months my job has required me to be out of town almost constantly, so I wasn't able to organize any more meetings- the time requirement to coordinate getting more than 4 people at a meeting was too much for me to manage.

I have a list of people's names who were interested, and will gladly send it to whoever seems to have enough energy and time to take the ball and run with it.

I don't want to sound negative, especially to those who made the effort to go to the meetings before, and who ask me regularly when we will schedule another meeting.

I just accepted a job in Indianapolis and I will be moving by the end of June. With my new job I will not be traveling, so hopefully I can be quite active in a club up there.

Good luck, and thank you to those who did try to participate (you know who you are)

Ernie

Sir Knight
05/03/2003, 10:38 AM
Hi Ernie,
I believe that if at first you don't succeed try try again. So Mike and myself will put the effort out to get the ball rolling.
If you would, please send me an email with the names and email addresses of the people that were interested and I will send out invitations once we have all the pieces in place for the first meeting. You can send the list to joewall@charter.net.
Sorry to hear that you are moving to Indianapolis I think you would have been a great asset to our new club

Joe W.

TNDave
05/03/2003, 12:02 PM
Ernie,

Just wanted to let you know your efforts have not/did not go unappreciated. I very much enjoyed the first meeting at your house and enjoyed meeting and talking with everyone. Unortunately, family demands and commitments kept me from coming to the second meeting.

Good luck with your new job in Indy, and thanks again for all you did.

Dave

Pandarian
05/03/2003, 12:45 PM
hey ernie, sad to see you moving. hope you like it up there.

im down for anything. i think you have my email already. if not,
dmai@asia.com

Pandarian
05/03/2003, 12:47 PM
Oh and joe, how bout we have a meet to see your greenhouse when it's done ;) :D

Donny

SmartWrasse
05/03/2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Ernie,

Thanks for your efforts. We may not have come together in a club before, but you did give us the idea and put some of us in contact with each other. The lighting information you put together was a lot of work and excellent information. We'll surely miss out having you around.

Everyone else,

I am the Mike fellow. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Mike Teague in Maryville
mdteague@hotmail.com

Sir Knight
05/03/2003, 03:00 PM
Donny,
Maybe this could be our second meeting, a tour of a propagation greenhouse.

I like this idea if anyone else thinks it’s worth doing.

Joe W.

Pandarian
05/03/2003, 07:29 PM
Do you know any propagation greenhouses? But that would be a great visit.

Sir Knight
05/05/2003, 10:39 PM
Hi all,
Mike ( smartwrasse) talked to the owners of the Coral Reef in Knoxville about hosting our first meeting and they have agreed.
Thanks Mike!

The owners of the Coral Reef will be providing free Coffee, doughnuts and a 10% discount on purchases. The meeting will be Saturday May 31,2003 at 8:30 AM
For those of you who don't know where the store is:
Coral Reef
5104 Kingston Pike
Phone 588-0303

As you will see from the agenda below this is more of a business meeting to get the club started. If you would like to volunteer to be an officer please let it be known at the meeting.

Please try to come up with some names for our club that we can vote on at the meeting . I have two that I came up with
a) Knoxville/Maryville Area Reefers (KMAR)
b) East Tennessee Area Reef Club (ETARC)

Here is the agenda for our first meeting
1) Welcome (15 minutes)
2) Club goals and objectives (15 minutes)
3) Club naming - discussion and vote (30 minutes)
4) Naming of officers - discussion and voting
( President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasure, Pubic Relations) (30 minutes)
5) Our new website (10 minutes) donated for the first year by Joe and Marie W.
6) Planning next monthly meeting - time and place (10 minutes)
7) Open forum (10 minutes)

Hope to see all of you at the meeting and don't forget bring a Friend

Joe W.

Runner
05/06/2003, 06:55 AM
I am sure some of us can't make the meeting but would like to keep informed of the club's progress. Can you please post the meeting info/minutes so that we can see what happens? I can't make the meeting because I am going fishing for stripers in Virginia that weekend. :D

Thanks.

Sir Knight
05/06/2003, 05:38 PM
HI Runner,
Sorry you can't make the first meeting.
Either I will or the new secretary will post the meeting minutes both here and in our new website once the website is put together.

Please send me your name and email address so I can add you to the clubs email list.

You can send it to: joewall@charter.net

Also have a great time fishing in Virginia

Joe W.

Pandarian
05/06/2003, 09:04 PM
i can prob make it. cant wait. :)

Sir Knight
05/06/2003, 10:19 PM
Hey Runner(Scott),
Added you to the mail list. I can't respond to your email at this time. I am having problems with Charter because of all the rain. So I have to use my dailup connection:(

Hey Donny,
Great to hear you can make the meeting looking forward to meeting you

All,
We now have 10 members including myself and my wife.

Looking good

Joe W.

EvilMel
05/07/2003, 08:14 PM
Was I supposed to say that I could make it? I didn't get that part. I will be there, with my husband in tow.

Muttling
05/07/2003, 08:18 PM
I tried to reply to your e-mail but it bounced back to me.

I seriously doubt I will be able to make it as I am in Dallas that week and scheduled to fly back on that Saturday. If I finish up early I will be able to move my flight up, but otherwise I will be absent.

Be sure to count me in as an interested party and avid supporter of the club though!!!!!

Sir Knight
05/07/2003, 09:27 PM
Hi Mel,
Looking toward to meeting you and your husband

Hi Mutt,
If you can make it that would be great if not I'll see you at our next meeting.

All,
I'm have problems with my internet provider (charter). They have been up for only an hour or two in the last 3 days. I guess that not bad for $50.00+ a month :mad2: , so I'm using my dialup

Sorry
Joe W.

esmithiii
05/13/2003, 06:43 AM
I sent the list to joewall@charter.net, along with the flyer. The poster is too big to e-mail, so I will burn it to a CD and try to make it to the meeting.

Anyone want to buy some of my corals? I have to liquidate (pun intended) my tank prior to the move...

Ernie

EvilMel
05/13/2003, 12:06 PM
Of course we do.

Tell us what kind/cost and if you have some pics that would be cool too.
Mel

Sir Knight
05/13/2003, 08:06 PM
Thanks Ernie,
I received your email

Joe W.

esmithiii
05/14/2003, 08:28 AM
I will post some photos this weekend, and I will try to do a list sooner. I only have a couple of weeks, so I need to sell what I can fast.

Thanks,

Ernie

Pandarian
05/14/2003, 12:35 PM
hey ernie do you have any soft corals? i'll buy some from you.

donny

esmithiii
05/14/2003, 05:13 PM
Here is a partial list:

Softies:
----------
Ricordea (several rocks, some frags)
Large rock of stripped green mushrooms
Palythoa grandis (several rocks, green/tan)
Purple gorgonian (about 8" tall, beautiful)
Xenia (tons of it!, two varieties)
Capnella (large) tree coral
Many zooanthids (grey, tan, bright green)
devil's hand leather
misc leather

LPS
----
Favia (neon green)

SPS
----
Orange Montipora Digita
Green Montipora Digita (huge!)
Neon green montipora (encrusting)
Bright orange montipora capricornis
tan montipora capricornis (huge! Size of a salad
Porites (green, small, encrusting)
Porites (wine colored, abou 3" tall, bulbous)
Porites (cream color, encrusting)
Pocillopora (tan, encrusting)
Small blue/green acropora

SPC
05/14/2003, 05:30 PM
Hi Ernie,

Good luck with the move and I hope all the best for you and the family my friend.:)
Steve

Pandarian
05/14/2003, 10:46 PM
i get dibs on some of the zoanthids :D
<---zoo freak

Sir Knight
05/26/2003, 07:22 PM
Hi All,
Just wanted to bump this up to remind everybody that our first meeting is this Saturday May 31, 2003 at 8:30 AM.
I hope the coffee is strong:)

Here is the address and phone number

Coral Reef
5104 Kingston Pike
Phone 588-0303

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Joe W.

Pandarian
05/26/2003, 10:19 PM
isnt 8:30 a little early? :p jk. see you guys there.

Runner
06/03/2003, 03:51 PM
I am sorry that I missed it. The striper fishing wasn't all that great. They don't feed at the surface in 25mph winds. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I look forward to the next meeting...