PDA

View Full Version : Sump Pump ?'s

The Saltwater Kid
04/30/2003, 06:51 PM
OK, I've read articles on sumps and they sound very beneficial but...how much would a decent one co$t? It sounds like the best one is a pre-drilled one inside your tank but I'm not sure I want that as it decreases the amount of usable/livable space for fishes. I am most likely going to buy a larger tank like a 55 or 65 gallon so I can get some of the more desirable fishes and that's going to cost me quite a bit of coin in itself ($260 for tank, lighthood, stand/$100 for skimmer/$30 for another heater/$20-25 for some more live sand and any other miscellaneous items)...most likely around $450. I just can't afford much more than that (if any of you have found that "Money Tree" please feel free to share it's location :)) right now. I know that you don't absolutely need a sump but it does sound very beneficial and I would like to add one down the road if they aren't too costly. As always I greatly appreciate any and all info/opinions that can help further my marine aquarium knowledge!!!

Tom Berry
04/30/2003, 09:12 PM
Justin,

I dont see any reason why you couldn't use the 29 you currently have as a sump. It should fit in the stand under the 65. Then you would only need the plumbing and a pump. The pump will cost you $40-$70. You'd be looking at $200 or so extra to go the sump route.

Getting a tank with a pre-drilled overflow is the best way to do a sump. If you get the regular tank and decide you would like to do a sump later, you will either have to break down the tank and have it drilled, or get an external overflow which will not work as well.

With the overflow, you will lose a little space in the main tank, but you gain space in the sump. Many people light their sump and keep invertebrates and fish in it. You can use it as a refugium to grow macrolagae, such as caulerpa, which will help filter your tank and can be a food source for tangs and other fish. You can also grow critters like amphipods & copepods that will be live food for your fish.

Tom Berry:fish2:

fishfarmer
05/03/2003, 01:04 PM
Having a sump lets you also keep your heaters, skimmer, carbon, etc. out of the main tank. If you do go with a predrilled tank, you can get crafty with acrylic and build small skimmer boxes for the holes so you can minimize wasted tank space like I did. A lot of the traditional reef ready tanks with bottom overflows do waste quite a bit of space IMO. If you are hesitant about getting the tank drilled, I have a CPR CS50 overflow I could sell you really cheap. They aren't the best oveflows, but will work if you know their limitations.